Dental injury question

Hi all,

For those of you who had their pain caused by a dental procedure, I'm curious if your pain has remained the same or has become worse over time? I had a simple filling after cracking a left molar around two and a half years ago and have had on and off burning and cold like aching in my teeth on both sides since then. I'm sure I've read that if your pain first appeared after dental work, then it shouldn't get worse as it was caused by trauma. Is this usually the case?

Nope.

Please put dental in the search box, and set aside some hours for educational reading.

Large percentage here set off by dental -- but once you have it, high, high percentage it is yours to keep.... BUT can go in and out of remission.

Please get the book "Striking Back" by Dr. Ken Casey..... has the top 102 things you need to know about TN treatments, progression, alternative treatments, stories, etc..... Remission can be 5 weeks or 5 years.

I read bits from the book ---- and then would come back on here and ask questions from those here on the front line.

Keep Learning and Keep Posting!

Ditto what Kc said!

Thank you for your replies. I saw two other dentists a couple of years ago who took x-rays and checked my bite and said everything looked fine. I'm not sure whether I have TN, I was just curious because as far as I'm aware TN caused by an injury etc has nothing to do with the wearing away of the the myelin sheath or a blood vessel pressing on the nerve (although I could be wrong on this and happy to be corrected). So I'm just wondering if TN or other facial neuralgia is caused by an injury, and not by a blood vessel or the the wearing away of the myelin sheath, what is the reason for it to worsen over time? Sorry if that's a question with an obvious answer, but after doing a lot of reading I'm still trying to find that answer. Thanks for reading.

It can be set off by a few different things…genetics, whiplash, dental stuff, falls…or no known cause at all… Maybe consider Instead of using this time to figure out the why…perhaps what to do next…
. If they find the cause. We will have a cure! Very gray area…very rare disease.

we all just get worse over time …with remissions if lucky. You really need a neurologist visit with TN patients…
…if they don’t know much about TN…call another before even making appt. they can rule out other diseases,

…lastly for now… Go to google images and search

Trigeminal neuralgia

And then

Search atypical face pain

When you look at these… You will have a more clear picture of what is now…

Keep posting and asking… Gain education here… Not dentist

Im not sure if my condition started from dental or just went full blown afterwards from messing with the nerve. Whats weird is I kept going to the dentist because my mouth was sore but he said my only cavities were on the opposite side than the side that hurt. I went in for a cleaning and went home crying. A week later I went in for a cavity to be filled a very small one and an extraction on the side that didnt hurt and my pain hasnt stopped since. I dont know what caused it but now that I look back I remember having pain 5 years ago and a dentist looking at me like I was crazy because he didnt see anything.

Thank you very much for your replies.

My pain started with infection which spread deep into my lower jaw and also with botched treatments. I'd say that the pain has improved over time; this time last year I was doing really badly, whereas now the pain is bereable without meds (I use supplements, though, such as magnesium, B vitamins etc.). Now I have more problems with my bite which got messed up due to the number of procedures I had and with pain in my upper teeth (root resorption as a result of bad bite).

I know from my neurologist that a far greater number of patients than dentists ever admit experience some sort of nerve damage during root canals, extreactions or surgeries. If the patient has no underlaying problem and the damage is not "that bad" (the nerve is irritated rather than directly injured) it's possible for the nerve to recover, although it may take a long time - months or even a year or years. The trouble is that a lot of dentists don't recognize what the problem is when the patient keeps coming back complaining about pain, so they keep poking about the painful site making the whole thing worse....

I had had stabbing pains on and off for months and the dentist couldn't find anything. We finally decided to crown the tooth I thought was bothering me but he said the only thing he could see was a tiny little crack. The day after we did this (shots, shaving tooth down & temp crown), I was in the floor in extreme pain! So he thought maybe I needed root canal. Sent me to the endo, had the root canal, and it didn't get better. After several days of this, I had had time to process exactly what the pain felt like so I could explain it better. Endo decided it sounded neurologic, and my GP diagnosed me immediately and put me on meds. I don't think dental work CAUSED mine because I had had stabbing pains for months. But I DO think that the dental work I had done exacerbated it and made it show up full-force.