Consult for MVD

I had a Gamma Knife in March of 2013. I had a full year of living relatively normal. 400mg of Tegretol held me in check. Around April maybe later early May I began to notice a heaviness in my right side jaw with a pulling sensation. I was teaching part time and speaking would tire my mouth and cause muscle spasms. I also had ear pain and break through teeth pain. I returned to the neurosurgeon and he diagnosed me with Trigeminal Neurapathy. He gave me a window of 3 to 6 months to let it “burn itself out”. Needless to say I progressively worsened .

I had a pain medication increase by my local neurologist to 900 mg of oxcarbazepine, 1000 to 1200 mg of Neurontin, depending on my pain level. 20 mg of Oxycodone, and 1.5 mg of Xanex. Insanity incorporated. I have lived inside my house depressed and mostly isolated. One month ago I tried using nerve blocks for the pain. The third one was last week to the V3 branch due to the burning gums. Touching my chin or cheek can have very painful consequences. Oh, I forgot to mention the Lidocaine mouth wash, facial pain pads and lidocaine gel. I hope this is all following some progression of comprehension.

Today we drove back to Philadelphia to discuss the lack of success with the nerve blocks. We also discussed that I meet all the criteria for Anesthesia Delorosa at which point he stated that it is not a usual consequence with Gamma. We went over my most recent MRI which shows a large blood vessel running into and along the nerve. He also pointed out one that comes up and over the nerve. Therefore, a consult with a surgeon who specializes in MVDs is recommended for next Wednesday.

Question. Finally the question. Has anyone had symptoms of numbness with pain, after a failed procedure and then had a successful MVD? My humble tearful, frightened, soul would appreciate any response. The amount of pain that I have with all this medication is unbearable.

Being that the problem is visible with a MRI,i would think your chances are very good.Sorry you are having such pain and lack of relief.I had Gamma a year ago and am pain and med free,but do have some odd tingly numbness.Good luck and hang in there!