Anyone been diagnosed with B12 deficiency?

I'm due to be tested for vitamin B12 deficiency and wondered if anyone else here has ever had it. I'm a high risk because of several factors, including proton pump inhibitor use, a long term low fat diet involving no meat or dairy followed by a vegetarian/ vegan diet. I had no idea of the vitamin B12 deficiency risk, and it doing neurological damage.

Has anyone here been tested for it and found positive? Did vitamin B12 injections (or oral treatment) help? Has anyone ever heard of anyone being cured (or even helped) by them, or have a neurologist who thought the deficiency was significant to TN?

Any info on the potential of a B12/TN connection most gratefully accepted...

Put B12
In search box
Mannnny discussions

I take it for energy
And it helps protect myelin sheath on all our nerves !

I had vitamin B 12 deficiency about 6 years ago. I gave myself weekly injections, then twice a month, then monthly. I still take a B 12 supplement (1,000 - 2,000 mcg daily)although my level has been good for some time. The injections made a difference in how I felt. I had more energy and just felt better. I did not have any pain episodes before I was diagnosed or later but I had gone at least 4 years with no pain episodes at all.

That's great, Kc, thanks. I didn't know I could search the discussions. I've just been ploughing through them, trying to find anything of interest. I finally tracked the search box down to the forum discussions home page. I thought I was going to embarrass myself by having to ask you where it was! Thanks again - I'll have a good read through them.

Kc Dancer Kc said:

Put B12
In search box
Mannnny discussions

I take it for energy
And it helps protect myelin sheath on all our nerves !

That's interesting, Karen. When you say you had no pain episodes for four years, had you been diagnosed with TN before discovering your B12 deficiency? Were you: diagnosed with TN, in remission, diagnosed with B12 deficiency, (still) in remission, then your TN came back? I'd love to know the sequence of events for you. I'm curious to know if there was some connection between the deficiency and your TN.

Karen Brown said:

I had vitamin B 12 deficiency about 6 years ago. I gave myself weekly injections, then twice a month, then monthly. I still take a B 12 supplement (1,000 - 2,000 mcg daily)although my level has been good for some time. The injections made a difference in how I felt. I had more energy and just felt better. I did not have any pain episodes before I was diagnosed or later but I had gone at least 4 years with no pain episodes at all.

Hello WWTET,

I am B12 deficient. Diagnosed many years before TN1 started. When tested, my B12 was very low. I must have the deficiency for a very long time.

I must an I do take shots since diagnosed, but I still got TN1. Which doesn't rule out the connection, like KS said: B12 is very important for myelin (search the internet on B12 and Myelin).

Have you got any B12-test-results back yet? Please ask for the 'numbers', don't settle for just a 'there's nothing wrong with your B12-level'.

Hi Ellis, yes, I went for my blood tests today and was tested for B12, Folate, with a full blood count and intrinsic factor antibodies. I'm not familiar with the last one so I'm going to look it up. And absolutely I intend to get a copy of the results when I talk to my doctor. I've been reading a bit about B12 deficiency since I first posted this and I see that there's a lot of disagreement about what's really an acceptable low figure, and that some people need more than others. There also seems to be some doubt about the validity of blood serum tests, but I'm going to worry about that one after I get my results back!

I was extremely interested to hear you had the deficiency well before TN and were being treated for it, but still came down with TN regardless. Can you remember how many years it was between your B12 deficiency diagnosis and your TN diagnosis? I take it you were being regularly tested when you were first getting B12 shots, to make sure you were getting enough?

Despite the fact that I don't fit the profile/symptoms in many ways, I do fit it in many other ways, and wonder if I haven't been someone who has been under par for some time and not realised it. I'm very reluctant these days to jump on every health bandwagon, but this is the first possible cause of TN I've read that's made sense to me. Do let me know about yours if you have time. I would love to hear about it.

All the best, Chancery

Ellis said:

Hello WWTET,

I am B12 deficient. Diagnosed many years before TN1 started. When tested, my B12 was very low. I must have the deficiency for a very long time.

I must an I do take shots since diagnosed, but I still got TN1. Which doesn't rule out the connection, like KS said: B12 is very important for myelin (search the internet on B12 and Myelin).

Have you got any B12-test-results back yet? Please ask for the 'numbers', don't settle for just a 'there's nothing wrong with your B12-level'.

Hello Chancery,
Intrinsic factor is in your stomach and is what you need to absorb B12. Some people don't have the IF and are therefore deficient on B12.
I think for me it must be about 8 years between diagnosed B12deficiency and TN diagnoses. But as I said, I was deficient long, long before then. I can't absorb B12. Therefore I must take shots (lifetime). There is a difference between being deficient (not be able to absorb) and lack of B12 due to diet or other illness.
Testing for B12 levels in your blood once you are taking B12-shots is in my case of no use, because the levels in my bloodstream will be high anyway (due to the regularely shots I must take).
For you it's important to get your results back first, THEN you can tell if you are looking in the right direction. If your B12-number is in the middle or on the high side, the chances of deficiency are very low. If your B12-number is on the low side or middle-low side, it's a good thing to be aware.
B12 deficiency has a very, very long list of symptoms. You don't have to have all of them to fit the bill. Thing is they can slowly creep up on you so you're used to them and things seem normal to you. On the other hand, the list is so very long, that there are allways a couple of symptoms on it that will match you perfectly.
Therefore: (like you said) wait for the results of the B12 test first, if low, then take the next step. If High or medium high, B12 is highly likely to be okee.
Feel free to ask me any questions,
Take care,
Ellis.

Hi Ellis, many thanks for the informative reply. I looked up the IF antibodies last night after I wrote to you and read exactly what you've said here. I've also got a copy of "Could it be B12"? Very interesting stuff.

I know what you're saying about the long list of potential symptoms. Diseases like this are a curse for hypochondriacs! Of which I'm fortunately no longer one. Although I do go through an OCD checklist when I encounter a potential disease that fits my symptoms, I do tend to dismiss it if there isn't enough 'unusual' symptoms to fit the bill. If it's all generic stuff, like tiredness, depression, aching joints, I have come to realise 'No, not me, too commonplace'. But this B12 one is hard to dismiss because things like tiredness really are a major symptom and not entirely to be disregarded.

Believe it or not, the symptom which screams red flag to me is, ironically, my TN. It has never made sense to me. I've never done anything which might have caused mental degeneration. No smoking, drinking, recreational drugs. I'm a big scaredy cat and would never do extreme sports that might bang my head. But I have had a struggling memory since my mid-forties. And even before that great tracts of my past were completely forgotten by me. I was, and am, always amazed by my partner who can remember stuff we did ten years ago, dates for when we lived in what house, while I remember none of it. I've always laughed, a little uncomfortably, about my similarity to my grandmother who had an atrocious memory, but been secretly afraid of getting dementia like she did. I have been plagued with a downward spiralling depression all my life which I have never had treated and never even discussed with a doctor because as soon as 'crazy' enters the equation your credibility just walks out the door. Nothing you ever say in a surgery will ever be taken seriously again. It has also often felt inexplicable to me, although I appreciate this is part of the nature of the complaint, but it really has often sprung out the blue with me, literally as if the balance of my brain had just shifted for no good reason.

But also my mother couldn't give blood. Unfortunately, as she 'didn't get ill' (it was a need to appear superhuman – don't ask), it was never discussed in the household, but I think she had some vague complaint called 'anaemia'. And her mother, my maternal grandmother, had dementia then Alzheimer's. And she was chronically forgetful, with an atrocious memory, since her fifties. Then there's my restless legs. My sore toes that often send shooting pains up my feet and legs. Nightly leg cramps. My clusters of days where I would get incredibly dizzy and feel like the room was a ship and I was going to fall over. They would sometimes get so swoony it was actually pleasant because they felt like they turned my brain off and I would just go limp with them. My chronically dry skin and nails with deep ridges in them. And the tiredness and leaden arms I got while 'dieting' (it was enforced by gallstones) for a year and a half with no dairy or meat or eggs when I had zero strength and couldn't life a shopping bag or sweep a floor. That arm strength has never really returned although it's almost two years after surgery to remove the gallbladder.

Then, of course, there's the lifestyle 'mistakes' I unwittingly made - taking proton pump inhibitors, using nitrous oxide (only once, in surgery, but later in life, close to other things on this list, although it may also have been used in the more recent surgery I had under general anaesthesia), a gastric operation, a year and a half without dairy or meat, vegetarianism followed by veganism. The list goes on and on... I've almost set myself up for it, all the time thinking I was doing the right thing, health-wise.

Anyway, this is all conjecture – and very long-winded, sorry. I'll get the results back midway next week, but I must admit I've never been so keen to get test results in my life. I don't know why, because the chances are even if I am deficient I can't fix the TN now anyway. But I can't lie - I have to confess that it really kind of gives me bizarre hope for the first time in ages. I half think if 'I can just treat this, I may be able to improve the TN, or at least give myself a period of remission'. Probably just wishful thinking, but hey - have to have something to hope for.

At the very worst, I will have an explanation – worth it's weight in gold. I think doctors underestimate just how much people need to understand their illness. It's absolutely crucial to me that I can make sense of things. I always have to know the why. I'm not one of those people who can just accept the great man coming and telling me 'This is your illness, this is what we can do. Now take the drugs and go away.' I have to know what's going on, feel proactive, take charge. I have to feel in control, and this disease (TN) is awful in the way it takes control away from you. That word incurable – what a nightmare.

My biggest worry now is that I'll be in the low range but it will be officially normal and I'll have a battle convincing my doctor that I should be treated. Still, he's reasonable bloke and if necessary I will just bombard him with photocopies of salient facts form the B12 book! I shall wear him down by sheer repetition!

Sorry, I have banged on here. I tend to stew on things and not share them and then when I get an opportunity to talk to someone I offload all my thoughts and worries. Thanks for being a good listener!

Chancery

Ellis said:

Hello Chancery,
Intrinsic factor is in your stomach and is what you need to absorb B12. Some people don't have the IF and are therefore deficient on B12.
I think for me it must be about 8 years between diagnosed B12deficiency and TN diagnoses. But as I said, I was deficient long, long before then. I can't absorb B12. Therefore I must take shots (lifetime). There is a difference between being deficient (not be able to absorb) and lack of B12 due to diet or other illness.
Testing for B12 levels in your blood once you are taking B12-shots is in my case of no use, because the levels in my bloodstream will be high anyway (due to the regularely shots I must take).
For you it's important to get your results back first, THEN you can tell if you are looking in the right direction. If your B12-number is in the middle or on the high side, the chances of deficiency are very low. If your B12-number is on the low side or middle-low side, it's a good thing to be aware.
B12 deficiency has a very, very long list of symptoms. You don't have to have all of them to fit the bill. Thing is they can slowly creep up on you so you're used to them and things seem normal to you. On the other hand, the list is so very long, that there are allways a couple of symptoms on it that will match you perfectly.
Therefore: (like you said) wait for the results of the B12 test first, if low, then take the next step. If High or medium high, B12 is highly likely to be okee.
Feel free to ask me any questions,
Take care,
Ellis.

Hi Chancery,

You may talk as long and as much as you like to me. I know, and we all know here, that we all are pretty alone with the TN-pain and so very often other illnesses. This is the place to read, write, and to feel understood and not so alone.

You say at the end "I tend to stew on things and not share them and then when I get an opportunity to talk to someone I offload all my thoughts and worries." I so very understand what you're saying here. I think it's because we feel instinctly if someone does or doesn't want to empathize with us.

I can relate to your thinking regarding this TN-demon Chancery. I also want to connect the dots in my medical history because I know there must be logic in the how and why. I am too not someone to give up easely. Giving up is giving up hope and giving up hope is giving up my live. And giving up my live is, well, we don't wanna go there.

I must say that I do accept that I have an illness (tell me about it) but I do not have to accept that I have to stay this way.

So, whatver you have to do to make you feel better, in hope, searching the net looking for clues, doctorvisits etc, I say if that's your way (like it is mine), if that's what you have to do, then do it. In the end, it is your body, your live and you have only got one.

Like you, I want to anticipate, understand (what is the position of that *-TN-nerve in 3D? What bones, tissues, other nerves does it meet along it's pathway? Connections with other diseases etc etc) and knowing what the doctors are talking about because so often they don't. We are with few. We are and must be our own advocates. (I also talk to myself here)

So, B12 deficient or not, you go Girl!!

How you explaned your history in forgetfullness could easely be my own story (allthough being dutch my english isn't as good as yours of course). I also can't place past events in time and I can't tell so very often if one event took place before or after another. As long as I can remember, haha!

If you ask me, my story of TN began many, many years (decennia) before TN started. Therefore I think that maybe TN isn't the desease, but TN is the result of something else. I have all sorts of things going on for a very long time and more and more is filling the jar.

So like you, I keep up the good work. I trie to keep my head up in times when meds do work (when they don't, that is actually impossible).

Keep on talking, searching and learning, so we can make wise decisions for our bodys.

What else can we do?

Whishing you all the best, can't wait for your results too,

Ellis.

Hi Ellis, thank you for your endless good nature. There's nothing worse than the 'illness bore' telling everyone their ailments. And you are a saint for putting up with my erratic Sherlock Holmes approach to TN, always trying to make sense of it.

I am so not like this in 'real life'. But this is one of the great things about forums like this, where you can share all your moaning, complaining and crazy anxieties with other like-minded souls struggling just like you are with having to bottle all your suffering up. At least to each other we don't sound like tragic heroines from Dickens! Well, not too much.

And you're doing it all from Dutch? That's well beyond the call of duty. Are you actually in Holland, or do you live in the States? Either way, absolute kudos to you, dealing with this BS in a foreign language.

You are absolutely spot on with your observation: "TN isn't the desease, but TN is the result of something else". I think that's very profound and there's a lot more to it than first meets the eye. It's exactly the feeling I have had with it right from the beginning, when I was saying, 'Why, how? This makes no sense. There must be a reason for this.' I feel too that there's something just out of sight, a jigsaw puzzle piece I'm missing, a link people are not making.

Doctors are not necessarily very good at this kind of problem solving, because they tend to fracture diseases up into symptoms, away from the body. They don't look at them holistically. This is how they have made many, many mistakes over the years, assuming a cause and effect when none exists (like the one they made with cholesterol in food causing high cholesterol in the body – it doesn't). They are poor at seeing the big picture. Often discoveries in medicine are made by people who have been looking for something else, or by people who are not medically trained.

Now I sound like I think I'm going to find a cure for TN! Not at all, not remotely, I just mean that I feel, like you do, that it's part of a bigger picture that doctors might be missing. And think how many people could be saved the misery of it if only the connection could be made.

Ah well, science will just have to lumber on at its own speed and we will just have to piece together our histories as well as can and make what little sense we can out the crumbs we have.

Thanks again for being there, and if you feel like sharing your own medical theories on how you got here, please feel free. I love a good mystery and hearing new ideas that people have put together for themselves, especially when they obviously have a good spirit and a sane soul, as you obviously do.

All the best, Chancery

Ellis said:

Hi Chancery,

You may talk as long and as much as you like to me. I know, and we all know here, that we all are pretty alone with the TN-pain and so very often other illnesses. This is the place to read, write, and to feel understood and not so alone.

You say at the end "I tend to stew on things and not share them and then when I get an opportunity to talk to someone I offload all my thoughts and worries." I so very understand what you're saying here. I think it's because we feel instinctly if someone does or doesn't want to empathize with us.

I can relate to your thinking regarding this TN-demon Chancery. I also want to connect the dots in my medical history because I know there must be logic in the how and why. I am too not someone to give up easely. Giving up is giving up hope and giving up hope is giving up my live. And giving up my live is, well, we don't wanna go there.

I must say that I do accept that I have an illness (tell me about it) but I do not have to accept that I have to stay this way.

So, whatver you have to do to make you feel better, in hope, searching the net looking for clues, doctorvisits etc, I say if that's your way (like it is mine), if that's what you have to do, then do it. In the end, it is your body, your live and you have only got one.

Like you, I want to anticipate, understand (what is the position of that *-TN-nerve in 3D? What bones, tissues, other nerves does it meet along it's pathway? Connections with other diseases etc etc) and knowing what the doctors are talking about because so often they don't. We are with few. We are and must be our own advocates. (I also talk to myself here)

So, B12 deficient or not, you go Girl!!

How you explaned your history in forgetfullness could easely be my own story (allthough being dutch my english isn't as good as yours of course). I also can't place past events in time and I can't tell so very often if one event took place before or after another. As long as I can remember, haha!

If you ask me, my story of TN began many, many years (decennia) before TN started. Therefore I think that maybe TN isn't the desease, but TN is the result of something else. I have all sorts of things going on for a very long time and more and more is filling the jar.

So like you, I keep up the good work. I trie to keep my head up in times when meds do work (when they don't, that is actually impossible).

Keep on talking, searching and learning, so we can make wise decisions for our bodys.

What else can we do?

Whishing you all the best, can't wait for your results too,

Ellis.

I actually have watched several videos on You Tube to visualize this monster that haunts me! It helped me to see it. I didn’t watch it until after my MVD though.
Interesting on B-12 and have been all my life but not diagnosed with inability to absorb B-12. At age 35. Since that time I have had auto immune disease. Hashimoto’s Disease and then thyroid extinct. Then 5 years later, TN

Thyroidectomy! Darn auto spell

If one has leg cramps, I would suggest you have your iron levels checked. The legs cramps are a classic sign of low iron levels.

hi,i have underactive gland,and certain foods deplete the thyroid,ie broccoli,anyway i still eat it. However what i found interesting a few days ago,i was reading something in paper and it said lack of magnesium in body can make you feel under par,as does a clogged up bowel,and liver. I am reading a book too at mo on 'internal cleansing',and am interested in cleansing myself in order for this friggin pain to butt out of my life. i cant take the digestive enyzmes as suggested as i get acid reflux,but accoridng to the 'magnesium deficiancy' ,thats why i could get acid reflux. Anyway i have been eating lots of beetroot,good for magnesium apparently. me,i'll try anything if i know i can be pain free

Jillian said:

I actually have watched several videos on You Tube to visualize this monster that haunts me! It helped me to see it. I didn't watch it until after my MVD though.
Interesting on B-12 and have been all my life but not diagnosed with inability to absorb B-12. At age 35. Since that time I have had auto immune disease. Hashimoto's Disease and then thyroid extinct. Then 5 years later, TN

I have a B12 deficiency. I have been on B12 injections since around the time i was diagnosed with TN in 2008. My system didnt accept the prescription B12 from my original neurogolist and endocrinologist so they put me on injections. Now my pain dr has me on them once a week. Used in combo with my other meds they really do help reduce the pain. Break thru pain is still very bad but not as severe. I havent had to go to the er in a while. Maybe Red can do some research?

Hi Jillian, my God, you have been put through the mill, haven't you? You poor thing. Do you think all your illnesses are related to a B12 deficiency then? Is B12 incriminated in any/all of them? I can see thyroid and auto immune, but I don't know Hashimoto's disease. The comment box seems to have eaten part of your reply, so I'm not sure what you're saying about your B12 deficiency. I assume that you have one but you don't actually have pernicious anaemia? So is it just a poor absorption problem, or are you a vegan perhaps?

Jillian said:

I actually have watched several videos on You Tube to visualize this monster that haunts me! It helped me to see it. I didn’t watch it until after my MVD though.
Interesting on B-12 and have been all my life but not diagnosed with inability to absorb B-12. At age 35. Since that time I have had auto immune disease. Hashimoto’s Disease and then thyroid extinct. Then 5 years later, TN

Thanks, Sara, I didn't know that. Next time I'm at the doc's I'll ask him if my iron levels have ever been checked and if not I'll get them done. I'm turning into human pin cushion here!

saraiderin said:

If one has leg cramps, I would suggest you have your iron levels checked. The legs cramps are a classic sign of low iron levels.

Hi Ouchie, so you actually have B12 injections as part of your TN treatment? That's amazing. I've never actually heard of that. And you feel they definitely make a difference to your TN pain? That's even more amazing. However, not a great sign that they can actually repair nerve damage in TN if you've been on them 6 years without improvement. Although arguably a reduction in pain is definitely an improvement!

Do you have pernicious anaemia - I ask because it's unusual to be on weekly injections if you don't (at least it is here in the UK). Has any doctor actually linked B12 deficiency with your TN?

ouchie-booboo said:

I have a B12 deficiency. I have been on B12 injections since around the time i was diagnosed with TN in 2008. My system didnt accept the prescription B12 from my original neurogolist and endocrinologist so they put me on injections. Now my pain dr has me on them once a week. Used in combo with my other meds they really do help reduce the pain. Break thru pain is still very bad but not as severe. I havent had to go to the er in a while. Maybe Red can do some research?

Woman - yes I had a great dr in WA state who had read a medical journal just prior to my monthly visit for pain management. As he was leaving my appt he popped his head back in and said, “I just read an article about an inability to absorb B12. Symptoms match yours. Let’s do a blood test”. Turned out he was right. I was never given a name for it. My symptoms were numbness in fingers and toes. Fatigue. Puns and needles feeling all over.
I take 10,000 B12 daily. Seems to help as I notice symptoms returning when I run out of B12.