After Microvascular Decompression

Well on May 1st I had my microvascular Decompression in hopes of getting my neuralgia under control. So I’m only 4 days out and I still have a horrible headache and my neck kills as well. I can still feel some electrical shocks off and on but I do think they’ve lessened. My neurosurgeon assures me this is normal and that they could last for another couple of weeks. I of course was hoping to wake up and instantly feel no more pain. I know that’s not normally the case so I’m trying to stay positive as best I can. I’ll just be devastated to have gone through all of this for nothing. So for the mean time I’m catching up on Netflix and hanging out with my dog on the couch. If anyone out there is will to share their own stories about their experience after the surgery, I would love to hear them

Can’t add any info on your MVD though wishing you all the best, but if you haven’t watched it, Better Call Saul on Netflix is worth a go. Takes a couple of episodes to get into it, but easy watching. Wishing you well with your recovery.

I had my op on 13 Feb. I was in hospital Monday to Saturday. I had neck pain, headaches, but no TN pain, no tinnitus. I am now living a near normal life, with just right side facial numbness. This may or may not wear off, but it is infinitely preferable to the pain I was having, not to mention the horrible side effects of the medication I was taking. I went a bit mad eating more than I should because eating had been so painful, so I now have to calm down and eat sensibly. So all in all I am profoundly grateful to my surgeon and hope for many more years pain free.

1 Like

As you can appreciate all patients are different. My MVD was quite a few years ago so the techniques weren’t as good as today. However, I awoke from anesthesia pain free except for the expected incision area and neck pain. But that was nothing compared to TN pain and dissipated in several days. Never even had a headache! Totally pain and meds free for 4 years when it, suddenly, came back. Back on meds for years and , just as suddenly, around 12 years ago I went into remission and still am with a few minor breakthroughs. So just give it time and let everything heal and the nerves settle down. I wish everyone would also go into remission! I do take 5000mcg/day of V-B12, sublingually, since, theoretically, that vitamin helps to rebuild Myelin. Lots of luck to you in your recovery.