Afraid of Weight Gain

I asked this on the other forum but for some reason got no replies. I am very thankful that there is medicine for this horrible condition that we have. I just am afraid of the weight gain. I have researched Neurontin and Tegretol, and everywhere I read says they both put on weight. On the other forum most of the people have said that they have gained large amounts of weight - like 30 - 40 pounds on these meds, whether they diet or exercise.

What I'd like to know is, has anyone not gained weight from these drugs? I have gained about 4 lbs in the last 3 or 4 months since the dose has been raised (that is a lot for me), and my appetite is much higher. I'm not one to usually gain weight, so I am worried. It is very hard to fight this appetite! Also, if they put weight on you whether you eat or not, I feel helpless.

Can I please have some feedback on this matter, no matter how trivial it may seem compared to the terrible pain of TN? I couldn't do without this medicine, so there is no alternative; I guess I just want to know what to be prepared for or whether I can be reassured that I may not have a problem.

Thank you all!

I haven't gained a pound in all honesty. To be fair though, I am barely eating. Chewing is a trigger for me. But, like I said, not a pound.

I've been super thin my whole life without even trying, but I've gained 30lbs from the meds. I'd gain 30 more if that's what it takes to keep this pain away. It sucks, but it's worth it.

I think that if I would have made an effort to watch what I eat or exercise when I first started taking the meds that I wouldn't have gained so much. I just never had to before. And as Elizabeth Taylor once said, "beware of the elastic waistband!"

I was unable to sleep felt so depressed, no appetite, then I took amitriptyline and sleep came again and my mood lifted, what a relief, but so did my appetite. I wanted to treat myself to cakes and lots of yoghurt I took a craving for both! I am now weaning myself onto a better diet and I feel better for it.

While on Trileptal for almost a year, 8 lb weight gain - mostly due to inactivity and depression I suppose.

I had lost over 45 lbs before all of this started...YEAH! Now that I was on Tegretal for 6 months I have gained almost 7 lbs! REALLY!! yuk. Can't do this! Consciously eating better and watching ALL calories that go in, as I truly don't feel like exercising or doing ANYTHING (have to work, then too exhausted to think about it...). Wish I had better news...and I loved what crystalv said "beware of the elastic waistband!"... oh...such an enemy!! :)

BUT now that on Trileptal, pain is manageable with few flare ups...will accept the 7lbs as a trade off, but hopefully will keep it in check! Good luck!