a

a

The original link provided with this posting [now deleted by the moderators] is some of the worst nonsense about TN that I have read in years. There is absolutely NO MEDICAL EVIDENCE that any significant number of cases of facial trigeminal pain is caused by heavy metal toxicity or "subluxation". A chiropractor must have written this blather, Collette. It's not worth your time or concern.

Regards, Red

The author is a graduate of Jeffersom Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, Pensylvania. He worked as a full time Emergency Physician for 23 years, during which time he also developed an expertise in Alternative Medicine. In 1981 he earned a doctorate degree in Nutrition from Donsbach University School of Nutrition in Huntington Beach, California. Since 1997, has worked tirelessly to help, and find solutions for, those afflicted with Neuropathic Pain, and has made very significant progress in short term relief of the pain and in the long term management, reduction and elimination of the pain."

I think you're quoting from the doctor's self-advertising, Collette. It's easy for a practitioner to set himself or herself up as an expert in "alternative" medicine, where there are practically no standards of practice and rather often not much of medical ethics, either. But no reputable mainstream physician would advocate for the silly notion that face pain is caused by "subluxation"of the Atlas -- a concept that is completely rejected by mainstream practitioners and for which there is NO (like in "none", nada, zilch!) documented evidence in controlled randomized trials.

Likewise, if this guy is such an expert, then where are his published peer-reviewed papers? I ran an author check on him in the Pub Med abstracts database at NIH, and didn't find a single one. He's got a book out on Post Herpetic Neuralgia, and a website. Unfortunately, the site reeks of the indicators one often sees in unsubstantiated and unsupported claims from the alternative medicine crowd.

Sorry to rain on your parade, Collette, but this guy looks bogus as a three dollar bill.

Regards, Red

I guess we have different views on alternative medicine Red. I have found alternative medicine/doctors have helped me and my family when 'mainstream practitioners' were at a complete loss. Where the medical system spent several thousands of dollars to investigate and the alternate medical solution costs were several dollars. His sight might very well be bogus, but there are a lot of unknowns with Trigeminal Neuralgia. Let's agree to disagree.

I wonder where one would get so much mercury (unless you ate certain deep-sea fish for every meal of your life. In fact most mercury poisoning comes from inhaling it).

I agree with Red ... when checking stuff out you need to do your own research on their research. Needs to be from reputable sources (such as well-known medical journals) and studies need to be done on a large scale for results to be feasible (I can't remember exactly from my health research methods Masters paper, something like >600-1000 subjects).

This guy has a doctorate in Nutrition? Since when did that make you an expert on medicine (more to the point neurology).

Sorry but this guy is no doubt a cowboy.

Collette,
I've deleted the doctor's name and web site from this discussion. Like Red said, there are no peer review publications or articles resulting from randomized study trials to support any of these claims. Additionally, the Atlas is not connected to the Trigeminal nerve in any way, shape or form and any medical doctor who makes this claim is in urgent need of a medical school refresher course.

Those of us, who manage this support group for Ben Munoz, the founder, are required to protect the members from exactly this type of disinformation and outright fraudulent claims of causes and "cures".

If, in the future, this doctor has produced proof that has been subject to peer review and publication, you are free to re-post his name and web site.
Gloria E
Administrator, Livingwithtn.org

I would also add that the "University" from which the good doctor claims to have gotten a Ph.D. in nutrition is a notorious diploma mill. The following article from Quack Watch may be worth a scan for any of us who are concerned for the damage that so-called practitioners of alternative medicine can do to patients.

See http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/donsbachuniv.html

This article by an MD begins as follows:

During the past 25 years, nonaccredited correspondence schools and other organizations have issued thousands of "degrees" and certificates which suggest that the recipient is a qualified expert in nutrition. These documents are promoted as though they are equivalent in meaning to established credentials -- which they are not. Whereas nutrition degrees from accredited schools generally take several years to acquire, Donsbach degrees could be obtained in less than a year. Some cases involve no schooling at all but mere payment of a fee.

The most prominent nonaccredited school was Donsbach University of Huntington Beach, California, whose president, Kurt W. Donsbach, D.C., is one of the world's most notorious promoters of dubious health information and treatment. I have been closely monitoring Donsbach's activities since 1971.

Oh my goodness. That's scary Red.

Yeah, Min -- it bothers me too. I commend to all of our participants, the habit of checking out medical treatment claims that seem disproportionate or ill supported. Quack Watch is one of several resources that serve well in spotting medical frauds.

Regards, Red