6months post MVD

Just recently saw my neurosurgeon he felt very sorry that the pain has returned. Am having a brain MRI on June 16th to see what is going on that the pain has returned. He is recommending a percutaneous rhiziotomy, not sure about this one but studies have shown great suscess after failed MVD. He will do MRI first before I proceed ahead. None of the meds are working back to wrapping heating pad around my face, increase tegretol, pain med every 4 hours, motrin anitdepressants, what else is there has anyone out there had failed MVD due to petrosal vein causing compression and rhiziotomy with great results would love to hear from someone. Thanks for listening again, much appreciated

That scares the heck out of me. I just had my MVD Monday. Cross my fingers and good luck to you.

After he has seen your MRI results, ask your surgeon about the chances for a successful second MVD. Quite a number of people have them and gain better management of pain that has recurred after a first MVD. RF Rhizotomy is certainly an option, and it does work for some people as a second procedure. But MVD addresses the underlying cause of the pain, where Rhizotomy only covers it up by damaging the ability of the nerve to transmit pain.

Regards, Red

Dear Red,

thank you for your response, well I cancelled the rhizotomy the morning of scheduled procedure, I just wasn't comfortable and very anxious. I never did ask him about second MVD, however i thought that it would have been an option. I have been dealing with this pain for far too long. I just want one day where I can say, yes I feel good today. Any suggestions? i really did not find much info on rhizotomy on the internet .

My Best

tatto20

Richard A. "Red" Lawhern said:

After he has seen your MRI results, ask your surgeon about the chances for a successful second MVD. Quite a number of people have them and gain better management of pain that has recurred after a first MVD. RF Rhizotomy is certainly an option, and it does work for some people as a second procedure. But MVD addresses the underlying cause of the pain, where Rhizotomy only covers it up by damaging the ability of the nerve to transmit pain.

Regards, Red