1 week post-MVD and feeling so happy

My MVD was on the 21st, last Wednesday. I went in at 6am, and surgery started at 8. While cutting, they tore my vertebral vein, so it took a little longer than expected. But, they did find a large vein wrapped around my trigeminal nerve! I was so incredibly scared that they wouldnt find anything because my MRI was clear. In fact, I woke up in the PICU and the first thing i could say was "did they find anything?" My mom said they did and I repeatedly said "Im so happy" for a good 5 minutes! I havent had any facial pain since before the surgery now! :)

I was in the hospital for much longer than expected - 7 days. For the first few days, any movement made me dry heave or vomit. After that passed, my neck was in so much pain from all the dry heaving. I had to be on high doses of valium (for muscle spasms), lortab, and morphine. Now that I'm home though, i am feeling so so so much better! I am walking around (sort of), sitting up for longer periods of time, and taking so much less pain meds. I havent started to wean off of my tegretol yet though:\ I am still in a considerable amount of neck and incision pain, but i know that will go away. I get my staples out on thursday. the incision is 3 inches long and i have 22 staples. I will post pictures later...

I am just so so so so so happy words cant even describe! I would recommend this surgery to anyone! and to anyone who has hesitant doctors, just be persistent!!! My doctor was so against me having this surgery, but after trying everything else possible and me constantly asking about it, it is done! I know it is really early to be saying this, but i think im cured. I think my battle with this awful and terrible disease is done. I am so happy. I hope that everyone with tn can feel this happiness someday too! You just have to keep hope!!!

A quote that kept me going through rough times is "And once the storm is over, you wont remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You wont even be sure, in fact, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain.. When you come out of the storm, you wont be the same person who walked in. Thats what the storm is all about."

I love all my tn friends so much and without all of your support, i dont think i couldve done it. This support group is a blessing <3

Hey Brbgrl, your enthusiasm is great to see! Sounds like you had a scary start but really wonderful they found the vein wrapped around your V nerve. And that you persisted until you got the surgery. Wishing you all good recovery days ahead.
Bellalarke

Congratulations Brbgrl.....I know the feeling that you are experiencing. When I woke up from my surgery and was pain free it took about a week to sink in that maybe this agony was finally over after 8 years. I wanted to stand on a mountain top and scream for joy and to let as many people as I could know that this surgery existed. That was 30 yrs ago before forums like this. I couldnt be happier for you and I hope everyone on this site eventually feels what you are feeling today( NO PAIN). Rest and recover the worse is over. Here 's to a totally PAIN FREE TN life from this moment on....ED

Go girl! What a treat! Shout it from the rooftops. Yeah. Remember you made it through this time and had the persistence and courage to do what was right for you. And thanks to Ed who continues to join our forum even though he was pain free for thirty years. What a inspiration you both are!

Brbgirl, wow! I’m so very pleased for you!! Another great story of self advocating and taking a chance for a better life! I pray it continues and as you regain physical strength may your emotional strength increase as well!
Love the quote, thankyou for sharing, I’m going to write it down !
Please go easy and rest as much as possible. Let your body be your guide back to wellness.
Huge ((( hugs ))) for you, Mimi