Running out of options

Has any one tried nerve inhibitors? My doctors has suggested them to me. It requires getting several needles in my face similar to what the dentist uses. I'm not sure if I want my face frozen like this. The pain can be so excruciating at times. I have had TN since 2006. Right now I haven't had a pain free day in 7 months. Let me know.

Thanks

Hi sorry I haven’t heard of this treatment, i would definitely look further into it before taking any action. I hope you have a pain free evening. I’m in my second month now of practically been in bed all day I feel for what you are going through.

Are you a candidate for MVD
OR
PNS.?

What is PNS?

I understand your frustration with the constant pain.---I live with pain every day also---so I truly know what having daily pain can do to someone mentally and physically. I am 11 years with TN ---(have had multiple treatments, meds, and some surgeries).. That all being said----I am not familiar with this nerve inhibitor procedure, but before you go forth with it---please make sure you know more about it---and if there are any long term side effects that might impact you worse than the pain you are presently dealing with. I had one surgery that relieved my pain for a short period of time, but also caused me to have another type of facial pain, and some other facial numbness issues. Not saying that to sway you away from this, because if it is something that might benefit you and more important relieve your pain---that is wonderful---but always good to be slightly cautious when contemplating these things. Do they offer gamma knife in your part of the country and like the other person who posted mentioned---are you a candidate for an MVD? Perhaps a visit to a neurosurgeon is a thought at this point? Don't know your history---so shooting blindly at these options. I also saw the compound pain cream mentioned on the forum here---got my neurologist to order it, and it has been helpful. Wishing you pain free moments, and hopefully days! You are in my prayers!

Since you have TN 1

You could be a candidate for MVD…to maybe get up to 90% pain reduction

Put PNS in search here… Implanted under your skin, a few here found it works for them…Peripheral Nerve Stimulator

Nerve inhibitors? PLEASE send a note to the moderator Red.
Don’t jump into that till you ask him!
He has research on many things that are NOT common procedures as this!

I had a nerve block 2 months ago at my GP. I have ATN and was experiencing nerve pain on my scalp - only the left side - my tn is worse on the left. After researching I found it is called Occipital Neuralgia? Even moving my hair was painful.

The doctor inserted a needle at the base of my head and injected anesthetic and steroids around the occipital nerve. Strange sensation, I could hear the needle go through my scalp, it went in very deep. I was told there would be bad pain over the next 24 hours, I assumed just pain at the needle site. But the pain was quite awful all over the left side of my head. Neck pain was very bad. For some reason my face swelled up a few hours after the injection and lasted a day - doctor doesn't know why that would happen. We guess it might be a reaction from the anesthetic.

After 3 days I was feeling better. I have had no more nerve pain on my scalp, the nerve block seemed to have worked. I've read online that it only lasts a few months, yet my dr said it should last forever. We shall see. The injection wasn't a pleasant experience, I think from now on the pain would have to be pretty bad for me to have an injection like that again.