Please help!

My daughter had MVD on 12/7/11 and was initially pain free. The incision healed wonderfully and we started decreasing Tegretol from 1200 a day to 400 a day over the next 4 weeks. Over the past few days, she started having the pains again. First with opening her mouth to bite an apple, and now with laughing and yawning. No spontaneous pain as of now, always brought on by some sort of facial movement. I have increased med to 600 starting yesterday and will see what happens.

Anyone have anything similar? Are we on the path back to where she started? I pray not! Why does MVD work for some and not for others? She had 2 compressions, initially-one a vein and one an artery. She also had some scar tissue that the doc cleaned up as best he could. What do we do from here?

I have read that it takes time for the nerve to heal, particularly if one had a strong compression. It's been a while since you wrote this, have things improved at all?

Crystal- Thanks for the response. I have been in touch with the doctor again and we will continue to increase the Tegretol in hopes it will calm things down. She tried to go outside yesterday to go for a walk and the cold triggered another spasm! She started crying (which triggered another spasm) because she is so extremely frustrated and tired of this! I need to know that I can reassure her that this could still be the nerve healing, so thank you very much for the info! We will keep praying!

Hi
Before I went in for my MVD surgery, I was told that sometimes it takes time for the nerve to heal. I haven’t had any pain since the surgery in 2009, but I knew it could possibly take some time to go away. Even though it is very scary and unnerving after going through this surgery, taking the meds will help calm this nerve. She still has healing to do since she just had the surgery a month ago. Tell her to take it easy and take care of herself. Good luck to becoming pain free.