Need Help with "external" pain

I have classic TN with excruciating electric shocks. Usually the pain is inside my mouth, cheek or nose. The latest attack, which started three days ago, is external -- that's the best way to describe it. Shocks are triggered by touching my cheek, and the pain is in the cheek, but not inside the mouth. I'm thinking that perhaps a topical numbing cream of some kind might help. Has anyone who has experienced this kind of pain tried a topical agent for relief?

Thanks!

Hi Nancy, I’ve often used bonjela on my gums and nurofen gel on my face. To be quite honest I don’t really know If it helps a lot but I always feel better knowing I’ve tried! I also use a heat bag on my face that I love, it seems to help a little and I could not go through an attack without it! Good luck, I think anythings worth a try :slight_smile:

Hi Nancy, During my worst attacks I’ve used a clothe filled with Epson salt, warm it up a minute in the microwave and put it on ur face where the pain is worse…it is gotten me through some really rough moments…hope this helps ya!!

Hi Nancy :0) I’m the same. I have been useing tiger balm and a heated wheat bag. It’s temporary relief but it does help for a while.

Thank you all so much for these tips. I'll try them asap. Aminda, I've not heard of "nurofen." Do I need a prescription to get it?

Thanks again!

Hello -- I have 2 prescriptions that work wonders --- one is lidocane cream which is clear - which I wear in public if needed -- if at home and having breakthru pain - I wear a patch of lidocane on cheek - cut them to what size you need

Neurologist did not tell me this - I had to find it in from the web or from the book Striking Back --- I had to ask for it, no problem!

Cream is mucho cheaper than patches - but I like both for different reasons--- glad I still had them around after MVD

My eyebrows shot up in surprise as I don't get pain in my mouth but I do get pain in my cheek .... like in my cheekbone area/sinus area. This is where the most excrutiating pain has always been for me (luckily haven't had any for about 4 days while on meds but then again I do get background pain there anyway even on meds as I'm type 2). Wheatbags do nothing for me though I do use them because it gives me something to focus on that isn't the pain (focusing on the warmth).

I just googled lignocaine (what we call lidocaine) gel for local ones and it looks like the 2% stuff is "poorly absorbed by intact skin" ... however I do know Emla cream (lignocaine-prilocaine combo) and Ametop cream (tetracaine/amethocaine) are as we use them at work for intravenous cannula insertions. Though I'm not sure if I could even get that on prescription here. Might ask (add it to the list of everything else I need to ask for!).

My lidocane is 3% -- but the lidocaine patch seems to hold the pain off better = on 12 hours - off 12 hours