My Pain Pump Success

I was diagnosed with Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia on my left side about 6 years ago. Mine like many people started in my jaw and teeth. I went through horrible pain for years before they finally figured out what it was. Spent a fortune on dental work only to end up pulling the teeth trying to be rid of the pain. I know I'm not alone in this. What started out as Atypical TN on just my left side has now spread to my right side too so I have Bilateral Atypical TN. I got a double whammy of it now. I have the burning, feeling like my face onfire, shocking, etc. So I was desperate like many of you .

I tried the Gamma Knife with no success and after pure desperation I resorted to the MVD. Waste of time, pain and money for me. Did nothing at all, sadly I fell into that percentage of people it didnt help. After that failed I immediately found a pain management doctor, I was on 100 mcg fentanyl pain patches for about 6 months which helped the pain. I was also taking Oxycodone for breakthrough pain. It was better than constantly taking pain pills but I slept practically 24 hours a day. Unfortunately with this horrific disease there is only one option for many: Pain Management.

Now onto the pain pump. I personally hate pain meds obviously not for the pain relief but the way they make me feel: the grogginess, inability to drive, brain fuzz. etc. My pain doctor and I discussed the pain pump and it sounded like the answer for me. The pain pump is permanently installed (mine is in my left back hip buttocks area) you dont see it. They run a catheter from the pump into the appropriate spinal space where the selected pain medication will be released. I am using Fentanyl as it works for me. Morphine did nothing.we discovered that during the pump trial.

What is a pump trial you ask? This is done through your pain doctor before you get to actual install of the pain pump. you want to make sure it will help you before you take such a major step. During the pump trial your pain doctor will temporarily insert a catheter into the spinal cord and you will be given a fanny pack that is attached. This fanny pack has your pain meds in it. He told me to leave, go shopping do whatever for a couple hours and lets see if it helps. The morphine for me didnt. During the trial they can adjust the dosage, attempt different medications etc to see if it will work for you. Once we knew it was gonna help me I had the surgery.

My pain doctor referred me to a neurosurgeon that installed the pain pump. WORD OF ADVICE!! MAKE SURE THE SURGEON GLUES AND STITCHES IN THE CATHETER!!! sorry dont mean to yell but I ripped my first cather out very easily and had to redo surgery. just trying to save you the trouble, pain and money. Once its installed it is just a matter of time to get the pain medication levels adjusted to a level that you are out of pain. It has been a miracle for me. I went from unimaginable pain to tolerable pain. I went from not able to drive because of the pain meds to driving miss daisy. I went from hardly able to complete a sentence while speaking to better cognitive skills. granted i still have some issue but I am sooooooooo much better.

A big benefit of the pain pump is that the medications are going through your spine and not your stomach, you dont have to worry about getting an ulcer from constant pain meds. You don't get the stoned feeling like with pills as bad. Not to be gross but you dont get the constant constipation either. Granted I still sleep alot because my medication has to be strong. I am not completely out of pain. I can't get to that point if I did I would Sleep 24/7. But the pain is sooo much less than before. The tears are gone and the complete hopelessness that came along with it. Depending on your dosage you will go into your pain doctors office for refills every few months, mine is just over a month. it is simply done by injecting a needle into the pump to drain out the old meds and adding the new pain medication. They can also mix medications. I also have a muscle relaxer in my pain pump to help with my back so kill 2 birds with one stone.

Another advantage of the pain pump is the PTM (personal therapy manager). It is a like a remote unit that you either place on the outside of your unit or there is a chord attached to it. This allows you to give yourself a bolus (dose) of extra pain medication as needed. The doctor sets up how often and how much will be given each time. I started every 4 hours but now I am on 3 because of my pain level. Again since not going through stomach like normal pain pills for breakthrough pain dont get all those side affects.

The only negatives I can think of the battery has to be replaced in the unit, so you will have to have the surgery about every 5 to 7 years to replace it, they just replace everything at that time. Another negative is if you are a scuba diver. you can only go to 30 feet due to the pressure on the unit. of course because of the catheter you have to be careful if you overstretch during some crazy vigorous activity which heck in so much pain who is any way.

Hope this helps give you all another idea and option in your battle. I have included links to the pain pump I have and the PTM so you can see first hand what I am talking about. Take care and God bless each of you. Hugs

Pain Pump Device

PTM (Breakthrough Pain)

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Vickie! I'm terrified that mvd surgery, gamma knife surgery, or even glycerol injections could cause anesthesia delorosa, so I'm trying to figure out alternatives. I had no idea this was even an option. I'm also looking at botox or a nerve stimulator.

This is such a tricky disease.

I wish you the best of luck Beth. It is a difficult journey for sure.

vickie,

wonderful to hear about your success! i've been considering pain pump. i've tried everything else including surgeries. i have gpn, type 2 (glossopharyngel neuralgia) and my pain leaves me in constant pain.

some opioids have helped me.and when they do it reminds me i'm still there.

did your trial require hospitalization or were you in an outpatient facility?

thanks

it was done in the doctors office. it was simple and straightforward, the doctor puts the catheter in your spine. I think i was sleeping. You simply carry your little fanny pack with you as you run some errands or hang out there if you like. Once the trial is complete he removes the catheter and you go home

Thanks so much vickie!

your welcome, sorry i wasn't more clear on that..tried to be thorough but hard to remember everything ecspecially on pain meds lol. I'm happy to answer any questions. I posted in hopes it will give others another option in treating and one that works..For me atleast. I wish you the best of luck hugs

Thank you for sharing your story. My neurosurgeon wants to refer me to see if I am a candidate for one of these. Reading your story makes it all seem less scary.

it truly isnt a difficult process. I wish you luck on your pump trial. He tried me on morphine first which didn't help. Now we are settled in with Fentanyl which helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask Carrie