My experience with the PainShield --- from a Newbie Member

I am a newbie on the site, but wanted to give you some info on my experience with the Pain Shield device. I have had TGN for about ten years, and it has gotten progressively more difficult to deal with. I have long periods of number ten pain, and have to drink my meals and grind up my food. Talking is hard, and my tongue can become painful to move. The pain in my right side of my face propagates to painful places like my lips and sometimes even my scalp. I believe that there is some dental nerve origin of this, because I have a bad bite on that side. However, years of going to dental surgeons and neurologists have said I have TGN> I have been approved for Gamma Knife and Vascular Decompression treatments, but I don't like the idea of either, plus they are no guarantee of success. I recently had a high resolution MRI and MRA and, frankly, though the surgeon thought he saw a place where cranial blood vessels were impinging on the nerve, I could not really see that in the imagery.

I Googled around and found the PainShield ads. I spent my own money on the device and a supply of transducers. It is basically a small electronic device that sends high frequency (ultrasound) signals to a transducer that you affix to your face overnight. The total cost of the device and a supply of facial transducers was about one thousand dollars. I bought it directly from the US distributor (it is an Israili made device). It is FDA approved.

The transducers have a gel adhesive and two connector points that hook to the wire to the device. The gel is not strong enough to hold the device when you are sleeping. They recommend using a stretchy bandage type thing around your head, but I found I got better results using stretchy medical tape. It peels off my face with no problems.

Bottom line, after using the device for every night for two weeks, my pain is nearly gone )over ninety percent). It will come back (though not strongly) if you miss two nights, but I am hopeful that using it for a longer period of time will yield longer periods when I don't have to use it. It is rechargeable and applies ultrasound for six hours. I locate the device just under the spot where my cheekbone meets my ear on the right side of my face.They recommend getting it close to the bone if possible, but I do not find that too critical.

This dang thing has been a real lifesaver for me. I am a consultant and need to talk all day and be active. TGN was ruining my life. Maybe this gizmo will not prove out in the long run, but you would have to hold a gun to my head to make me give it up right now. I have been using it for about six weeks now. But you should see relief within a couple or three weeks. There is a thirty-day money back guarantee.

I want to emphasize that I have no connection to the company. And i do not know if it will cure the TGN by growing back the damaged myelin as the developers intimate. But I would gladly wear this thing every night if necessary. The transducers have limited life. They are $45 each. I bought ten as part of my purchase, and that should be good for a year or more. They seem to last a month or so with everyday use.

I hope some of you find this helpful. I am new to using this site (it froze on me a while ago), but I will be glad to answer questions.

best, SwedeP

This is fantastic for you and I will hope, like you I am sure! That your pain relief is permanent, it must be bliss for you :slight_smile:

Red? Any input or info on this from you?

i've met with the doctor who "invented" the painshield.

SwedeP - first of all - glad for you ! i haven't read all you msg. i'll read it later.

Dr Adahan who invented this device is a doctor here in Israel.

i must say - i HAVE met him here in ISRAEL the first year of my pain.

i have to say - and this is my subjective opinion - it was an awful meeting , and the doctor wasn't really nice.

i've also talked with others with TN or ATN who went to him and said he was a quack.

i have to be honest - that had he wanted to "just take my money" he would have sold me the device - which he didn't . since he said i don't have classic TN - it wouldn't help me.

i've talked to other who rented the device , tried it for monthes - with no relief. but - i'm glad your story tells otherwise.

there was here an independent reseaech here in Israel this November - that they were looking for volunteers to try the device.

good it's working for you. it's sounds wonderful

1 Like

Hi Nira: I found that the crucial thing is for the transducers to be pressed FIRMLY against your skin. If there is ANY air gap, the ultrasound energy is lost. They recommend an elastic wrap around your head. That did NOT work for me at all. I use "KT Therapeutic Elastic Tape" pre-cut into 10 inch lengths that I cut and use to tape the transducer firmly t my face (sort of an "X" pattern of two pieces of tape). I also use a small bit of ultrasound gel on the transducer surface. I buy thte tape and gel on the US Amazon site.

This made all the difference for me, but maybe I am just lucky that I have the key trigger point in a place that is easily treated by the transducer. But, again, FIRM contact all night is the key.

I never dealt with any doctors on this. It does not surprise me that the doctors are jerks, but I do not think this is a fraud. Ultrasound treatment for pain is very common here, used by major athletes, etc. and for treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome, etc.

I hope you find something that works for you besides the toxic anticonvulsants, etc.

Best regards, SwedeP

Nir Morita said:

i've met with the doctor who "invented" the painshield.

SwedeP - first of all - glad for you ! i haven't read all you msg. i'll read it later.

Dr Adahan who invented this device is a doctor here in Israel.

i must say - i HAVE met him here in ISRAEL the first year of my pain.

i have to say - and this is my subjective opinion - it was an awful meeting , and the doctor wasn't really nice.

i've also talked with others with TN or ATN who went to him and said he was a quack.

i have to be honest - that had he wanted to "just take my money" he would have sold me the device - which he didn't . since he said i don't have classic TN - it wouldn't help me.

i've talked to other who rented the device , tried it for monthes - with no relief. but - i'm glad your story tells otherwise.

there was here an independent reseaech here in Israel this November - that they were looking for volunteers to try the device.

good it's working for you. it's sounds wonderful

Hello, SwedeP— When I researched this device, I was seeing a Physical Therapist at the time. I mentioned this to her and that I had made contact with the doc who invented it. My PT cautioned me against using ultra sound so close to the brain for an extended amount of time because there are not studies that support ultra sound for so long on the brain. She reminded me about the ultra sounds during pregnancy. They keep those to a minimum since they do not know of any harmful effects this may cause the baby in utero. If I had not taken her caution to heart, I may have tried it then. Instead I use the Alpha Stim 100, which is for pain and depression caused by pain. This has been studied and has been proven safe.

I am glad you are doing well! If you find any recent studies on ultra sound going through the brain for 6 hours every 24 hours, please let me know.

Thanks!

LyndaS

Swede and Dancer,

I've posted a new discussion with a series of abstracts pertaining to the class of techniques in which PainShield is one example. The bottom line seems to be that the device helps some people, some of the time, for pain disorders other than TN -- but relief is not consistent even for the individual patient, and it most certainly doesn't result in healing of the myelin layer of the nerve. I'm still digging to confirm this, but I believe the FDA certification is for "safety", not effectiveness.

Regards all,

Red

Hi Lynda:

This is a good point that I thought long and hard about. If found that there is a major difference between this device an other ultrasound devices that may make a difference and have resulted in the FDA certification in this use. First the frequency of the ultrasound is 90 Khz (90,000 cycles per second) vs. the 1-5 mhz (million cycles per second) of diagnostic ultrasound and typical devices used to treat acute injury. Second, the energy level is much lower (it is measured in watts of energy pr square centimeter). I have forgotten the number but it is a small fraction of the usual devices and is a tiny fraction of a watt, and thus cannot travel far. Also, the device cycles on for 30 seconds, then off for 30 seconds (or maybe it is minutes) for the 6 hour period. By comparison, your cell phone operates in the 2-5 gHz (billion cycles per second) at high wattage levels. Thus, unlike the typical devices, this is truly just SOUND radiation, and not electromagnetic radiation. That's what I told myself , anyway !!!

LyndaS said:

Hello, SwedeP— When I researched this device, I was seeing a Physical Therapist at the time. I mentioned this to her and that I had made contact with the doc who invented it. My PT cautioned me against using ultra sound so close to the brain for an extended amount of time because there are not studies that support ultra sound for so long on the brain. She reminded me about the ultra sounds during pregnancy. They keep those to a minimum since they do not know of any harmful effects this may cause the baby in utero. If I had not taken her caution to heart, I may have tried it then. Instead I use the Alpha Stim 100, which is for pain and depression caused by pain. This has been studied and has been proven safe.

I am glad you are doing well! If you find any recent studies on ultra sound going through the brain for 6 hours every 24 hours, please let me know.

Thanks!

LyndaS

You're too funny SwedeP — I'll look into this more as it sounds interesting. Thanks for your comments :-)

SwedeP said:

Hi Lynda:

This is a good point that I thought long and hard about. If found that there is a major difference between this device an other ultrasound devices that may make a difference and have resulted in the FDA certification in this use. First the frequency of the ultrasound is 90 Khz (90,000 cycles per second) vs. the 1-5 mhz (million cycles per second) of diagnostic ultrasound and typical devices used to treat acute injury. Second, the energy level is much lower (it is measured in watts of energy pr square centimeter). I have forgotten the number but it is a small fraction of the usual devices and is a tiny fraction of a watt, and thus cannot travel far. Also, the device cycles on for 30 seconds, then off for 30 seconds (or maybe it is minutes) for the 6 hour period. By comparison, your cell phone operates in the 2-5 gHz (billion cycles per second) at high wattage levels. Thus, unlike the typical devices, this is truly just SOUND radiation, and not electromagnetic radiation. That's what I told myself , anyway !!!

LyndaS said:

Thanks!

LyndaS

1 Like

dear SwedeP

thanks.

you made me think twice on this device.

you say you have TN or ATN ? was your pain constant ? does your MRI showed something ? (you said you were a canadite for MVD + gamma , so i means they showed something in the XRAYS.

i wonder because i try to find the similiarties to the case.

how is the relief during the day now - do you have hours of pain-free time ?

thanks for the info.

how do you know when it's not working because of it's not 'tight to the skin' ?

Dear SwedeP,

I have the same doubts than Nir, you say you have TN or ATN?, and was your pain constant?. I have a terrible and continuous pain after a rhizotomy at V2 and V3 right branchs, I´ve tested all type of medications and surgeries, including 11 electroshock with the purpose of erasing pain memory, without any relief...I poke me 8-9 times along day (demerol). I was engineer with a good job and I cannot work, I can´t do anything. Me and my family are totally hopeless and depresed. I have been ill for four years. I started with a dental surgery. My husband has bought me a painshield device, and I have tested it for one week without any relief...

Hi Martygh:

I think I replied to this earlier, but I just wanted to add that it takes time for PainShield to work.

1. You have to place it in the right place. That is NOT necessary where the pain is, but rather where the nerve is actually injured. In my case, it was at the jaw hinge (in front of my ear), not my lower jaw where I FELT the pain.

2. Do it every night for at least 2 weeks.

3. Make sure the transducer is held firmly against your skin. It is useless if if is not.

It may not work for everyone, but it stops it EVERY time, for me, and gies me 3 or 4 months of 90% relief.

Good luck. SwedeP

Have you looked into a spinal cord stimulator? It’s implanted and is with you all the time. I love mine. I still have some bad days but they are less. I don’t know if you have any dr in your area that do them? It’s worth searching for it you are finding relief with this device.

Hi SwedeP,

My husband is purchasing a Pain Shield for me and I can hardly wait to receive it! I will let you know when it arrives and how I do. Wish me luck! I 'll do anything to get off these medications! I began a special diet (Wahls Protocol) a few days ago and between the two therapies.....I pray to God I will be in less pain or pain free and medication free.The medications are ruining my life. I feel "drunk" all the time and cannot work or drive. I hope you are doing well! How are you doing now?

Hi Stephanie,

If the Pain Shield does not work (I plan to test it for 2-3 months) then I plan to test for a spinal cord stimulator or peripheral nerve stimulator. Columbia Presbyterian in NYC explains the process on their website. They have a device that they use for Trigeminal Neuralgia, Occipital Neuralgia, and Intractable Migraine patients. Looks very promising! How are you doing now? I hope you are well and pain free!

Hi folks:

Thank you for keeping me up to date. Good luck with the Pain Shield. It works wonders for me. I have pretty conventional TN involving the right side of my face along the lower branch of the nerve. I found that the best place to place the transducer was just under my cheekbone, close to my ear. I loop the wire over my ear, bring it down and put the gizmo itself in a shirt or pajama breast pocket. I augment the adhesive on the unit itself with an "X" of sticky, stretch athletic tape over the transducer and over the wire on my neck. That way, I can wear it while I sleep.

I just had a recent bout of TN, and got out the unit. The first night or two it sort of aggravated the pain, but over the next week or so it knocked the pain back 90 percent (it never really completely goes away). There is now a similar device made by ZetrOZ Inc. of Trumbull, Connecticut (USA). The Pain Shield is made by Nano Vibronix Inc. of Melville, N.Y.

If your TN is primarily in the top part of your head, there is a new, Belgian gizmo called "Cefaly" that you wear across your forehead. In Canada and the UK, it is available without an Rx, but In our nanny state country, the FDA requires an Rx. I recommend Googling Cefaly.

Take care, and best wishes,

SwedeP

1 Like

Hi SwedeP,

Thank you for sending all of the good information my way, I really appreciate it. My TN is right sided, but involves all three branches of the nerve, unfortunately. It started in the first branch and slowly began involving the second and now I am getting zaps in my lips gums and teeth. Another alarming feature of my disorder is that I am beginning to have smaller pains on my left side as well. The neurosurgeon told me that I have Classic TN1 and also Atypical TN2 so I really need help in a hurry!

I was wondering do you use a Ketamine Patch with your Pain Shield?

Thank you again!

Hey everyone, just wondering what the latest consensus is on the Painshield? Any further opinions or experiences? I was looking at it all again and hoping there's more studies or something. Couldn't find anything on the UK site here http://www.painshield.co.uk -- anywhere else I can look ? Thank you in advance, interesting to read how you are all getting on.

Hi Ollehg:

The website for Painshield is: http://www.nanovibronix.com. I have not had to buy any new transducers in a while, but they appear to be live and well with a fancier website. The price is USD 795 for a machine that looks like mine. I do not know if this is a consensus, but I have not used it in over a year. I used it religiously when I felt any severe pain in the manner I described in earlier posts. Perhaps, PainShield actually does help myelin grow back as they claimed at the time.

In my case, I think the TG nerve is stressed by my poor bite after having a wisdom tooth removed. (My lower back teeth on the left touch the upers before the right side ones.) I wonder how common this is, because I went to several expensive oral surgeons and TMJ docs who say, "no, that has nothing to do with it, you have TN". Well, by DEFINITION I have TN because that is the affected nerve. But, why is it affected is the key question. This may vary.

However, I want to add that one of the nation's top TN docs recommended microdecompresion (i.e., drill whole in your skull and hope that you feel better after 6 mos. of misery recovering).

So, buyer beware, but for $795 it was a solution for me.

Best regards,

SwedeP

ollehg said:

Hey everyone, just wondering what the latest consensus is on the Painshield? Any further opinions or experiences? I was looking at it all again and hoping there's more studies or something. Couldn't find anything on the UK site here http://www.painshield.co.uk -- anywhere else I can look ? Thank you in advance, interesting to read how you are all getting on.

I'm glad that Ollehg seems to have had a positive outcome from Painshield. However, be aware that the company was sanctioned by authorities in the UK for advertising the device as effective against Trigeminal Neuralgia, in the absence of trials data establishing that. Two others who reported their experience for our recent survey of neurostimulator devices, had negative or no results.

Regards, Red

Hi Red:

You confused the responder (SwedeP) with the person who sent the inquiry (Ollehg). I was very careful to limit my reply to my personal experience. Whereas TN generally is considered "progressive", for me, timely application of the low-power pulsed ultrasound has led to a regression of pain to the point I have not used the device in over a year.

As to the UK ruling, I think it appropriate to let folks know that. But you should have also have noted that the device has received both FDA (US) and EU (CE) approval for marketing as a device for treatment of pain. See FDA link: <http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf8/K081075.pdf&gt;. More importantly, the concept of pulsed ultrasound being used to manage pain is not unique to this product and is in widespread use for pain control, usually at much higher energies and frequencies. The low energy, low frequency pulsed application of ultrasound by devices like PainShield has, in fact, been studied. The most recent found "[pulsed therapeutic ultrasound] is an effective resource in a model of trigeminal neuropathic pain, with a mechanism involving opioid receptor activation, confirming its potential usefulness in the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia." J Neurosci Res. 2012 Aug;90(8):1639-45. doi: 10.1002/jnr.23056. Epub 2012 May 15.

SwedeP

PS: I have no relationship, financial or otherwise, to PainShield. I do have a PhD in economics and statistics and consult to pharmaceutical companies (among others) on experimental design, product efficacy, and other issues. However, the remarks I have offered on this site are from my personal experience only. It strikes me that the virtue of sites like the TN site is to let people share "one-off" person experiences should they be generalizable.

Richard A. "Red" Lawhern said:

I'm glad that Ollehg seems to have had a positive outcome from Painshield. However, be aware that the company was sanctioned by authorities in the UK for advertising the device as effective against Trigeminal Neuralgia, in the absence of trials data establishing that. Two others who reported their experience for our recent survey of neurostimulator devices, had negative or no results.

Regards, Red