Meds used for atypical neuralgia

Has any one had success with meds used by neurologists?
What seems to work for me is opiod meds but there is not one doctor that has offered this therapy. Does any one know why

I have atypical trigeminal neuralgia, and take Gabapentin, 600 mg, 4x a day. While it does not completely reliev the ATN pain, it does make it tolerable. Most of us take an anti-seizure med, or particular type of anti-depressant, or a combo of both. From what I have read, traditional pain killers do not have much affect on nerve pain. I have occasionally taken a low dose of Vicodin when my pain is severe, but it really just puts me to sleep.
You can go to the facial pain info tab to learn more about the usually prescribed meds. The book “striking Back” is a great resource , too.
I hope you find relief soon!
Best
Christine

I have atypical odontalgia and I was prescribed Amitriptyline which works well for me..Only once in awhile will I get pain but in my case ibuprophen works on that. I don't know why a doctor wouldn't prescribe opiates? did you see a neurologist or a family doctor?

I take Neurontin (like Christine) and Baclofen and they manage my pain well. If I start to decrease them at all, the pain starts creeping up again.

Hope you find the perfection solution for you, Gee Gee.

~ Vicki

Oxycarbazepine 150mg increased up to 600mg worked well for me, although they can give an initial rash with slight nausea this does go within a week. Also found withdrawing from these on a gradual scale had no problems, unlike other meds I was on.

I have been taking gabapentin 1200 mg a day divided into two doses. I recently was tapered down from it and am currently taking 200 mg twice a day. My doctor started me on Nortriptyline 50 mg at bedtime. I have only been on it for 3 weeks now. I have no relief at all so far and I am wondering if I should or if I need to wait it out for a few more weeks. Can you all reply and let me know how long it takes a med to "work"? I have relentless pain in my upper right gums ( where two teeth have been pulled). My tongue is constantly going there except when I wear this god awful retainer/nightguard they made me which is hideous!! I am so afraid that nothing will help me. I alos tried one dose of Cymbalta and had a really bad reaction for almost 30 hours until it cleared from my system. I am starting to think I should be on Amiltriptlyine, except they say Nortriptlyine is the same with less side effects. I am not so sure, as I read alot of people were helped by Amitriptyline. Any advice would be great, I have no Idea what I am doing and neither do my doctors!

I didn't have luck with gabapentin or oxcarbazapine, the best was nortriptyline but I'm at the max I can take and it's not nearly as effective as it used to be.

My current neurologist offered opiates after 6 months or so, then I had an MVD, then when the pain came back he's been giving me oxycontin for around the clock and it's helped a lot. I take a 20mg in the morning and evening. Still have bad days though, nothing is perfect.