Klonipin use

How many of you use Klonipin for ATN, What dosage do you use, how many times a day. Thx

Hi, I take Klonopin .5 mg. twice a day…sometimes less, for my ATN and Neuropathic pain caused by trauma, I also take a high dose of Lyrica, Tramadol, Topamax, Lidocaine, and Zoloft. The Klonopin calms down my system.

How long have you been on the Klonipin. What type of trauma, was it dental. Are you still in pain or able to function

I used clonazepam (klonopin generic) for a while when I had burning type pain. I used it both orally and topically, it was very effective when used topically. Once I quite Percocet, that type of pain went away.

Currently I use another benzodiazephine–diazepam (Valium) as I much prefer it and it is longer-lasting. I use it all the time topically as part of a mix, and orally when I’m having a really bad pain day. It is actually the most effective treatment for ATN dental pain at this point for me.

I can’t recommend taking a benzodiazephine continuously. It is too easy to become highly dependent and withdrawal at that point becomes a living h----. It is known as worse than heroin withdrawal. It is also very dangerous to mix with opiates at higher doses of either. But for occasional or topical use I find it very helpful.

I have taking Klonopin as part of my “cocktail” for about 10 years. My nerve pain initially began after sinus surgery when the T nerve was damaged along with the benign tumor removed. Since I did not have a proper diagnosis of how to treat the pain which started shortly thereafter (15 yrs.) ago, I tried 2 procedures which damaged my face even more instead of helping: Glycerol Injection and Gamma Knife, both of which have increased the pain and caused the entire left side of my face to become numb. I guess if I had classical TNA, then those treatments may have helped. Bottom Line: get a proper diagnosis
before subjecting yourself to “surgical” procedures. Well, I am able to function, but the pain and symptoms increase as the nerve continues to morph in new directions. But, I have learned to live with it Life goes on, with modification. And, I am able to still smile. Sorry for the long reply. And, thank you for your interest. Bless you!.

So sorry for all that you have been through and still in pain. I’ve read so many horror stories about Klonipin, so I’ve stopped reading. It helps a bit, yet without it the pain is above a 10. All of these drugs have side effects. I can’t have any of the procedures done. Thank you for responding

I use 1mg of Kilonokin daily at bedtime. I also use Lyrica 150 mg a day, tegretol 100 mg ER in middle of day and if very bad day, baclofin 30 mg at night in bed. Mostly this works. Klonopin is very very difficult to withdraw from and so us Ltrica. So think it over carefully.

Coming off klonipin is horrible, I was actually off for 4 months, but my neuropathic pain was so horrible I went back on. I either take. .5 twice a day or like yesterday I took .5 in the morning and .25 around 5. I have been on it for over 3 yrs now. Its interesting because in the book Striking Back they say it’s used much more our of the US. more of a add on. I take nothing else. I was diagnosed with neuropathic tooth pain. Its been 5 yrs dealing with this plus tmj which I wear a splint at night and many times during the day which helps my pain also since it balances out my mouth. Hugs to you

It is helpful to know others have this type of pain. I have had 15 years of increasing left sided facial pain in the infraorbital region which is now constant. This started after cosmetic and sinus surgery. I have tried many ways to try and address this to no avail and am now mentally exhausted. I know that if I give up trying I will be in a downward spiral.
Clonazepam does take the edge off but other meds have not reduced the pain significantly.
I believe that it is possible that fat injected into my mid-face at the same time as a SOOF mid-face could be a factor .
Is anyone aware of scans which can accurately look at facial nerve V and VII. I have had CT and MRI’s of the area .
The only thing that seems to help with my pain is manipulation of my face and nose. I now insert Q-tips into my nose and mouth constantly which does give me some relief.
Can anyone give advice

Hi Joanne,
I agree it is so important to keep working at solutions, try pretty much everything. Have you tried topical lidocaine (patches or cream), or topical clonazepam? Both are quite effective for me. If you are not taking supplements including the B vitamins (especially B-12) that might be helpful. Also take a look at the posting regarding ultrasonic massagers as that sounds interesting (My treatment for Trigeminal Neuralgia pain). Hope you can get some more relief.

Thanks for your input. How do you get topical clonazepam?? Lidocaine did not work for me.

I have been on Clonazepam (Canadian name for Klonopin) for four years. Three .5mg pills a day for Anaesthesia Dolorosa. It has no affect but I can’t get off it. I’ve tried four times very slowly but by the time I’m down to .1mg I can not tolerate the withdrawal and go back to .5mg three times a day. Would love to know how to get off it.