Is atypical facial neuralgia the same as atypical trigeminal neuralgia?

Ive had this thing for 5 years. They never gave me an actual diagnosis. Then about a year or so ago my PCP called it atypical facial neuralgia. I was thinking....um, okay so thats what your calling it. Nice of you to inform me. At this point, however, Im so over the whole trying with doctors I just said thank you for the pain meds and went on with my day.

This site has encouraged me to "take up my cross" for lack of a better term and try to see what I can do to help myself with this pain and informing others! LOl including myself.

So, how do I k now what I have?

Thanks!

I believe "Atypical Facial Neuralgia" is an imprecisely used term for "Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia". Barring that, it may be that the doctor simply doesn't know the standard diagnostic terms for face pain. If he intended "Atypical Facial Pain Syndrome" or anything in that general class, then he's simply dead wrong. There is no such syndrome. The term is a waste basket diagnosis.

Welcome to the ranks of patient activists (in your own behalf).

Go in Peace and Power

Red

I think it’s the same thing, but check out the book Striking Back - its an amazing book that covers all things facial pain and TN. It explains the difference between all types of facial pains and TN, the history of it all, all medications, surgical interventions, other ways to help, etc etc. It’s awesome and will totally help you figure out exactly what you’ve got going on. It has helped me a lot. And you also feel more empowered the more you know. Cheers!