Hoarseness for how long?

Not to seem ungrateful, but... I am getting "tired" both figuratively and literally of this "Minnie Mouse" voice. I am into week four post op and wasn't expecting this part of the recovery. I am exhausted simply trying to talk. It is an all day thing. I thought by now I would have my voice back and when I tire or overdo it, the strained voice. So far it's not me I'm hearing, raspy, inaudible, great effort. :(

I was told it would take 2 months. Most of my hoarseness is gone at 7 weeks, and it is a gradual improvement week by week. It was worse with fatigue, better with rest. Stress can bring it back, too. So get your rest. I sound like myself now. I found that talking too much also makes it harder to swallow. they go hand in hand. My swallowing is almost normal with no more choking sensations. Hang in there, it gets better, just slowly. My friends who heard me last week noticed a significant improvement from week 6 to week 7.

Thanks Vicdoc! That was helpful. 28 days after surgery, for the first time, today I almost feel like myself! My voice is somewhat familiar. :) I am seeing the light! I am not back to work yet. Not planning to return for at least another two weeks, and part time at that. I have been walking with a little more ease, breathing is less of a labor. I take in at least 10 minutes of fresh oxygen each day, the more the better I was told for a healing brain! I have been careful with what I eat, as swallowing is problematic. Thinking brain food. Mashed cauliflower, fish, Omega supplements, fruit of a variety of colors, cold canned fruit in light syrup, more vegetables then I ever eat! Our bodies know what they need. Follow your healthy cravings. Foods don't taste quite right, as you mentioned. Not bad, but not flavorful. In time this will all be a memory!

I have found that I need to eat a lot of fats. The brain is a lot of nerve tissue, so I figure fats are good. They also taste good. My voice starts normal in the day but after only an hour of talking at work, it's hoarse again, so it will be a while, if ever, what it will be normal or as strong.

My mvd didn’t effect my voice but my swallowing hasn’t improved to much yet good to know keeps improving 6 weeks in I’m scheduled to go back to work Jan 10 which is 4 weeks from surgery hopefully ill be ready love reading your guys post

I’m week 7 and my voice is still the same. Starts out sounding good then the more I talk the weaker and out of breath I get. Went to a ENT and I have a paralyzed vocal cord, so I’m going to hope that will help my voice so I can go back to work.

I know how you feel... I was a high school teacher and I would start out fine 1st hour, hoarse by 2nd, gagging and throwing up by 5th hour and a complete loss of voice by the end of the day. My Doc told me that it would probably be a permanent result from the surgery. It just depends on how much the nerve was damaged. I also feel like I have a finger stuck down my throat on the right side. Triggers the gag reflex if I talk too much.

I’m having collagen injection into the vocal cord

Scott-“was a high school teacher”?! Did you resign due to this side effect? I too am a teacher, dreading going back. I am hoping to be back around Jan 20th which will be week 8. The holidays afforded me this luxury of time for healing. I have an ENT appt in the 4th. I feel like something us constantly stuck in my throat, but it feels like the left side? The GPN was on the right?! I find myself eatting, swallowing, regurgitating, and swallowing again to get the food all the way down. Like a mamma bird! Not to be gross.
Thank you tinabh for the collagen tip. I will keep it in mind. May we all come through this pain free and totally comfortable. Enough with the discomfort already!!

Yes, I was a high school teacher up until a year ago. I ended up with early retirement. If you check out "My Story" on my page you'll understand why...

Donna said:

Scott-"was a high school teacher"?! Did you resign due to this side effect? I too am a teacher, dreading going back. I am hoping to be back around Jan 20th which will be week 8. The holidays afforded me this luxury of time for healing. I have an ENT appt in the 4th. I feel like something us constantly stuck in my throat, but it feels like the left side? The GPN was on the right?! I find myself eatting, swallowing, regurgitating, and swallowing again to get the food all the way down. Like a mamma bird! Not to be gross.
Thank you tinabh for the collagen tip. I will keep it in mind. May we all come through this pain free and totally comfortable. Enough with the discomfort already!!

Yes, shake my head, I had read your story earlier. That explains the length of your incision, too. What a nightmare. I can't imagine the strength you must have to get through the days. Wow, praying for you!

Tina -

Did the collagen injection provide any relief?

-Jessica

tinabh said:

I'm having collagen injection into the vocal cord

Okay, so I finally got to see my ENT. He confirmed the right Vocal Chord is paralyzed. (GPN nerve was on the right side, as well) I am just finishing my sixth week post-op. There is still time for natural healing. I will start speech therapy on Wednesday.
I have no GPN pain, so the surgery was a success! I have not returned to work; it doesn't look like I will anytime soon. Fortunately, that is not a problem.
Today, was my first day driving. My shakiness has subsided, as I have been completely off meds, for two + weeks! (First time in seven years!!) My head still feels heavy and tight, but mobility is good. I even got my hair colored and cut this week!
Overall, feeling good. I am still napping, daily. I suspect it is the vocal chord situation that is exhausting me. Breathing is a labor. Eating and swallowing, still a struggle. I haven't lost weight, however! I get it down with lots of sips of water and I am not active at all. Catching up on my pleasure reading. Too nervous to do yoga with the upside down head positions. I have been fortunate without headaches and would like to keep it that way.
Tinabh, I am interested to hear how the collagen injection went. I'm wondering why my ENT didn't mention it. I should have, but didn't. hmm I always wanted to go to a speech therapist anyway. I mumble a bit. I will wait to see what the she says on Wednesday. Sure to learn something from the process!

Donna, I could not help but notice all of the positive things you mentioned in your last posting. Girl, you have come a long way. No pain, feeling stronger, driving , mobility good, hair done and an answer to your voice problems. Thank God for all these improvements. It may be a slow improvement but still an improvement. I too have experienced some of the same problems with my throat surgery for cancer, speaking was an extreme effort and Lord only knows how anyone understood me. :) Swallowing is not a problem now and I have gained 15 pounds, more stamina, and now driving. Just give it some time and it will all work out for the best. Hey, NO PAIN!! My husband had a light heart attack two days ago. He has a heart history and this wasn't good BUT he will be ok, I believe. Didn't know I had the strength to put the hours in at the hospital but I did. Vicdoc is right, give it some time. In the meantime enjoy the small successes. Best Wishes.

Donna said:

Okay, so I finally got to see my ENT. He confirmed the right Vocal Chord is paralyzed. (GPN nerve was on the right side, as well) I am just finishing my sixth week post-op. There is still time for natural healing. I will start speech therapy on Wednesday.
I have no GPN pain, so the surgery was a success! I have not returned to work; it doesn't look like I will anytime soon. Fortunately, tha,t is not a problem.
Today, was my first day driving. My shakiness has subsided, as I have been completely off meds, for two + weeks! (First time in seven years!!) My head still feels heavy and tight, but mobility is good. I even got my hair colored and cut this week!
Overall, feeling good. I am still napping, daily. I suspect it is the vocal chord situation that is exhausting me. Breathing is a labor. Eating and swallowing, still a struggle. I haven't lost weight, however! I get it down with lots of sips of water and I am not active at all. Catching up on my pleasure reading. Too nervous to do yoga with the upside down head positions. I have been fortunate without headaches and would like to keep it that way.
Tinabh, I am interested to hear how the collagen injection went. I'm wondering why my ENT didn't mention it. I should have, but didn't. hmm I always wanted to go to a speech therapist anyway. I mumble a bit. I will wait to see what the she says on Wednesday. Sure to learn something from the process!

Oh dear, Nancy Jo! Your husband had a heart attack?! It was a blessing that it was a "small", but still. This has been a difficult time for all of you. I think I know where you got your strength from! It isn't us, but something within that gives us the power to handle the obstacles that are tossed our way.
Thank you for all of the encouragement. I am relieved to hear that your throat is better. Both my husband and I are happy to hear about your husband's victory! You and everyone in this support group have been so instrumental in my, "our", healing process. This is a tax on the entire family. Stay strong. Hugs, love , and light!

Thank you for your kind words. I choose to believe that my strength and healing has been from the hundreds if not thousands of prayers for us. I understand and know your struggles well but really believe you have made tremendous progress regardless of the challenges you are going through. Yes, I know it is frustrating but try and remember the awful pain you suffered that your no longer have. Hopefully, you will conquer your current challenges. Again, I am optimistic you will over come these. I will be going back to Cleveland in a few days to see what treatment they will recommend for the few cells of dysplasia that remain. I believe the worst is over but may have a few more bumps in the road. Until later stay strong.

Donna said:

Oh dear, Nancy Jo! Your husband had a heart attack?! It was a blessing that it was a "small", but still. This has been a difficult time for all of you. I think I know where you got your strength from! It isn't us, but something within that gives us the power to handle the obstacles that are tossed our way.
Thank you for all of the encouragement. I am relieved to hear that your throat is better. Both my husband and I are happy to hear about your husband's victory! You and everyone in this support group have been so instrumental in my, "our", healing process. This is a tax on the entire family. Stay strong. Hugs, love , and light!

I’m almost week 2 post op from the collagen injection. My voice is much stronger. I still notice when swallowing its still some weak on that side. I went to a otolaryngologist… That may be different. I go back to eork on the 10th so nervous! My headaches have almost completely gone. I do still have like a cramp feeling on left side of the roof of my mouth and back left side of tongue. Let me know what speech therapist say about that.