"Elavil"

Read this story about this lady who took “Elavil” for her TN and she’s been 6years free of Pain. What I want to know is, has of is anyone on Elavil and if so what was it or has been for you? Tell me all because I plan to ask my neurologist about going on.

Yes, I know a lot about Elavil (amitryptiline) as I was on that drug (or similar tricyclics) for 35 years! When I weaned off the drug, I developed ATN within about a month. So I pretty darn certain withdrawal brought on my ATN. I’m very stubborn and there is no way I’m going back on that dumb drug, it was making me sick. I’d say if nothing else is working, and you are really miserable, it is worth a try. There are worse drugs. But I would try “natural” non-drug methods first.

I have been taking this for about 2 years. Along with my wonderful ATN I also have something lovely called Interstitial cystitis. This is another insanely painful condition. I was prescribed amitriptyline for the Interstitial cystitis but they also said it may help with my ATN. It really has done nothing for my ATN but has helped to reduce my bladder pain by about 3%.

What kind of methods are you talking about Ziggy?

I am sorry that you have that crap.But glad you have a sense of humour.3% is about right.

To make a long story short, I have a complex regime of diet and lifestyle changes, in order to avoid neurotoxins and promote healing. I also use things like mouth gaurds, picks, heat pads, etc… to help with the pain. These things have enabled me to keep my ATN at a manageable level and avoid drugs, though I am not completely healed.