Artsy One in despirate need of surgical advice

I have had TN and occipital Neuralgia for 7 years now. It is secondary of MS. I have been holding on with medications until recently. My pain is no longer being controlled with medication.

I need help with suggestions for surgery. Is there a specialty center with TN as their focus in the US? My doctor wants to send me to Mayo Clinic in Rochester. I have had gamma knife which has failed at Froedert in Milwaukee. I want to make the correct choice. I am struggling to continue functioning as a business owner. Life is hell right now. I would love any help you all may have.

Artsy - I had an operation May,2011 to remove an epidermoid tumor that was causing TN. I live in suburban Chicago and Dr George Bovis at Advocate Lutheran General In Park Ridge, IL successfully performed the procedure. He is very talented. I interviewed surgeons including Northwestern Memorial (great hospital) but selected him. Mayo Clinic you will get great service and care, they have an outstanding reputation. If you live in the Milwaukee area and or Southern Wisconsin you should compare Mayo with the Chicago facilities. You have options, investigate your choices. There are some outstanding healthcare professionals that can help you. BTW, I decide to get operated after reading a report from Dr Bruce Pollack of Mayo Clinic.

What procedure is your current MD recommending? Is it a MVD? Or is something else the issue?

Good Luck and God Bless.

Jerry Parker

I have TN (2ndary MS) - from a brainstem lesion. It is effecting the trigeminal nerve in a big way. This is what they will most likely suggest:

• Balloon compression. In balloon compression, your doctor inserts a hollow needle through your face and guides it to a part of your trigeminal nerve that goes through the base of your skull. Then, your doctor threads a thin, flexible tube (catheter) with a balloon on the end through the needle. Your doctor inflates the balloon with enough pressure to damage the trigeminal nerve and block pain signals.

Balloon compression successfully controls pain in most people, at least for a period of time. Most people undergoing this procedure experience some facial numbness, and some experience temporary or permanent weakness of the muscles used to chew.

Do you know anything about this? or anyone who has had it? I have been told that It may stop working after a period of time and it may have some other complications. For instance... no tears in the eyes and the eye has to be permanently sewn shut.

Thanks for your reply by the way!

Jerry Parker said:

Artsy - I had an operation May,2011 to remove an epidermoid tumor that was causing TN. I live in suburban Chicago and Dr George Bovis at Advocate Lutheran General In Park Ridge, IL successfully performed the procedure. He is very talented. I interviewed surgeons including Northwestern Memorial (great hospital) but selected him. Mayo Clinic you will get great service and care, they have an outstanding reputation. If you live in the Milwaukee area and or Southern Wisconsin you should compare Mayo with the Chicago facilities. You have options, investigate your choices. There are some outstanding healthcare professionals that can help you. BTW, I decide to get operated after reading a report from Dr Bruce Pollack of Mayo Clinic.

What procedure is your current MD recommending? Is it a MVD? Or is something else the issue?

Good Luck and God Bless.

Jerry Parker