Are root canals linked to TN?

I need a filling on a tooth and it is 50/50 chance it will be a filling or a root canal. I am terrified because I have heard people who’s TN started after a root canal. This tooth is on my “good side” but what if the root canal causes TN. He said I will eventually need a root canal, but I would avoid it at all costs. I don’t want to loose my tooth but I’m afraid to go through with the risk. What is your experience witj root canals?

Here’s my take on dental work and TN/ATN. It’s not that the dental work actually creates the TN (except maybe in rare cases where they hit a nerve with anesthetic), it’s that your nerves are already compromised for some reason, and normal healing doesn’t seem to happen. The nerve is just sitting there, ready for that one thing that sets it off.

Unfortunately you don’t have good options. If you really do need a root canal, it is unavoidable, because if you don’t get it, you would probably eventually have issues anyway, such as an abscess. In my case it was an abscess that set off my ATN, and my tooth had to be extracted (broken root) which really stirred things up. But all the work was unavoidable, as it is not a good idea to have an massive infection next to your brain.

If you really do need a root canal, I highly recommend that you have it done by an endodontist, regardless of how “simple” it may seem. They have all the best testing and diagnostic tools, and getting a well done root canal is critical. Your dentist should be able to give you a referral to a good endodontist. Good luck!

I agree with ziggy. I spoke with my dentist prior to an emergency root canal/abscess clean up procedure and he explained that although the TN nerve runs along the jaw it actually isn’t directly involved in dental work. The dental work can fire it up, just like dental work can make the muscles of your jaw sore, but fundamentally it doesn’t impact the actual nerve unless something extraordinary like hitting the nerve directly with the anesthetic needle happens. The TN pain is largely reactive to dental work, it’s not caused by dental work. TN is a situation unto itself.

I also agree you need to go to an endodontist. Your underlying condition of TN has to be handled with kid gloves and they’ll have the equipment to help get that accomplished.

Do not avoid going! You can’t let your teeth rot out of your head and you can’t allow an infection to fester.

Good luck.

I also agree with Ziggy. In my case, I just went in for a filling and wound up with trigeminal neuropathic pain. I really believe my nerve was already compromised - or even really my brain. New research is beginning to uncover genetic links to chronic pain. They are starting to realize there is a type of person that is more likely to develop chronic pain than others and I believe I fall into that category.
The thing is, if you don’t get the root canal, then you’ll eventually have to get the tooth pulled, which is much more trauma to your mouth and the surrounding nerves than a root canal.

Me,too. All good advice. Endo must show an understanding of tn beyond a dated script. He must address what can be done in preparation, such as meds. My two cents.[quote=“azurelle, post:3, topic:14180”]
abscess
[/quote]