Announcement: Face Pain Info Tab

This note is to announce a relatively new on-site resource, under the "Face Pain Info" Tab at the top of each page. With help from Stef and Gloria E., I have put together an archive of information and literature references that addresses several "frequently asked questions". These questions are often of concern to new face plain patients -- and to some of us who have long dealt with pain but are now seeing new features or conditions emerge. The master index of the Research tab is as follows .

Master Index:

About This Page and the Authors

What Can I Do Here?

What Kind of Facial Pain Do I (Possibly) Have?

How Do I Find a Knowledgeable Doctor to Assess and Treat My Pain?

How Do I Develop a Constructive Doctor-Patient Relationship?

Are There Internet Resources for Free and Low Cost Care?

What Can I Expect in a First Neurologist Appointment?

What Role is Played by MRI in Diagnosis of Face Pain?

Is Trigeminal Neuralgia Caused by Dental Work?

Is Trigeminal Neuralgia Caused by Whiplash Injury?

Treatments for Typical and Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia

What Special Concerns and Problems do Atypical TN Patients Encounter?

Could I have Temporo-Mandibular Joint Disorder?

Do Opiod Drugs Work for Chronic Facial Pain, and Are They Addictive?

Is "Atypical Facial Pain" a Real Medical Disorder?

Is "Psychogenic Pain" a Real Medical Condition?

What Should I Do if A Medical Doctor Refers Me to a Psychiatrist For Evaluation?

What Can I Do to Help Myself Live Better Even While I'm In Pain?

How Do I Help My Family to Understand?

How Do I Submit and Support a Disability Claim?

Research References

Reader Comments and Suggestions

All are welcome to visit and share the resource. The page is open for comment or correction, and should be regarded as a work in progress. Likewise, feel free to post additional questions there for the "resident research analyst". I'll add literature references for those who need them, to the excellent and supportive discussions and group interplay that already exists elsewhere on the site.

Go in Peace and Power,

Richard A. "Red" Lawhern, Ph.D., Resident Research Analyst
Stefanie Poulton and Gloria Erickson, LwTN Moderators

Hi Red..... Thanks for your post.

I personally can not stress the importance of seeking the right Dr and developing that right relationship. Trigem is horrendously painful condition and you owe it to yourself to seek the best possible help. Because you are in pain make sure you bring along an advocate who can listen for you and ask some questions that you may not be able to gather together as a result of the pain.

I am pain free -5- weeks as a result of the recent operation.

J. Parker

Point well taken, Jerry. I believe we reflect your concern in the section of the research page which deals with constructive doctor-patient relationships...

Go in Peace and Power,

Red