Amitriptyline and TN II

Hi All,

My neuro has prescribed amitriptyline for my type 2, mostly burning sensations. Does anyone have any input about this medication? I am already prone to occasional heart arrhythmia and this concerns me but not my neuro.

Thanks.

Hi,

There will probably be a lot of more thorough replies regarding amitriptyline than mine. I am on a very low dosage compared to some others on LwTN and it seemed like a miracle drug to me initially. After a couple of weeks it stopped being effective (I think it was time to titrate which I was hesitant to do because I'm always knackered on higher doses of meds and have a full-time job which does not mix well with that). I don't feel competent to say how it works if used long-term in higher doses, but on the whole I feel it worked for me (ATN).

Good luck with your treatment.

Oli

Hi!
I also was put on amitriptyline for TN 2 (burning sensations and also helping with migraine prevention). I tried 10 mg which was too low of a dose to help. 25 mg helped with burning pain but I was tired. Then I tried 50 mg and that was not a good fit for me. It helped with pain and headaches but basically made me feel like a zombie. I was very tired and gained weight fairly fast. I hope you can find relief. I know alot of people do. Best of luck and hope you find the answers you need.

Hi,

I take Amitriptyline for bilateral ATN. It has been my life saver. Some people have trouble with the side effects. It does have side effects for me but my body gets pretty used to it after two or three weeks. I am on 60mgs. Some find relief with just 10mgs or 25mgs.

Side effects for me:

Dry mouth-use biotene mouth spray from pharmacy

Fatigue-morning are difficult at first-I take it around 7pm and am out like a light by 10pm

Weight gain-10 lbs but have lost 5 lbs. It makes me think about food a lot

It takes one and a half to three weeks for a dosage to work up in your system. I always increase very slowly as well. Like I said I am able to get used to it and live my life normally. I am a single mom with three jobs and I own my own house. So, obviously I am functioning pretty darn well!

Some people try Nortriptyline which is similar to Amitriptyline. It apparently has fewer side effects.

Good luck and I hope you are able to find some relief.

Thanks for the reply How are you doing? Have you found anything that works for you?

Oldriska said:

Hi,

There will probably be a lot of more thorough replies regarding amitriptyline than mine. I am on a very low dosage compared to some others on LwTN and it seemed like a miracle drug to me initially. After a couple of weeks it stopped being effective (I think it was time to titrate which I was hesitant to do because I'm always knackered on higher doses of meds and have a full-time job which does not mix well with that). I don't feel competent to say how it works if used long-term in higher doses, but on the whole I feel it worked for me (ATN).

Good luck with your treatment.

Oli

Katie,

Thanks for the input. I am so nervous about taking any medication but I hope I can find something that works that will allow me to function. Have you found anything that works for you?

Thanks

Katie said:

Hi!
I also was put on amitriptyline for TN 2 (burning sensations and also helping with migraine prevention). I tried 10 mg which was too low of a dose to help. 25 mg helped with burning pain but I was tired. Then I tried 50 mg and that was not a good fit for me. It helped with pain and headaches but basically made me feel like a zombie. I was very tired and gained weight fairly fast. I hope you can find relief. I know alot of people do. Best of luck and hope you find the answers you need.

Wow you gained a lot of weight! |That is really horrible. It is a constant struggle for me every day with Amitriptyline. I have never thought about food so much in my life! I crave sweets big time and I do not usually eat sweets. I also plan huge elaborate meals in my head. lol.

I only gained 10 lbs though. I talk myself out of the cravings and my kitchen is closed after supper! I found I was standing in my kitchen late at night eating anything and everything. I drink tons of water and go for long walks every day.

We are all so different with these meds.

Jamie said:

Elavil was one of the first meds I was put on back in 2001. It lowered the pain for about 5-6 months and then quit working. I kept taking it for a full year. During that year I constantly craved sweets and gained 100lbs (I kid you not, I suddenly looked in the mirror after getting off it and was like "who is this person?!") It was stark and sudden. I had vivid dreams while on this crazy med. Constant dry mouth too. Always thirsty. Once I tapered off, I loss the weight I gained without even trying and had dreamless nights. It gave me some weird placebo effect. That was my experience with it. Helped a little for a few months, horrible side-effects, pain came back. Story of our lives...