Advice for starting an in-person support group

I am committed to getting an in person face-to-face support group started here in the Cincinnati area. Would love to hear experience and advice from those of you that have support groups in your area. This website is wonderful and has helped me a great deal, but I really feel there is value in the face-to-face interaction we can get from each other. I can get a free room to use at the hospital I work at, which is a central location with easy parking. But would love advice regarding such things as how to get the word out, what type of materials to have on hand, how to make sure those attending do not give medical advice, etc. etc. Do you get local neurologists, neurosurgeons, other medical practitioners to speak? Appreciate hearing everyone’s experiences, and thanks in advance!

In Cincinatti, you are close to the Mayfield Clinic, headed by Dr. John Tew -- a member of the Medical Advisory Board for the US TN Association. You might want to contact him concerning whether anyone on staff there would be willing to speak to a group in the local area. Likewise, send me a note at ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■, and I'll broadcast an invitation to contact you, to all of our membership in Ohio and surrounding area. I can also post to ten Facebook groups if you don't mind having a contact email address made public.

Regards and best,

Red Lawhern, Ph.D.

Resident Research Analyst and Moderator,

Living With TN