What do you do when a partner shuts you down?

Albee thank you so much for sharing this.

I look at your photos and read your life style and how you cope and i thought you had the perfect life even with TN.

It is so difficult for us and our partners. Do go to see someone to talk to and I know you miss your great friend who passed away. Sometimes a professional can be good.

You sound like and look like a great guy and your wife would be a fool to put it all at risk.

Colleen your a gorgeous girl too. I know how I now understand chronic pain and never did in the past.

Sometimes I feel like matching people up on this site, but maybe a pair of TNs together would not be a good thing!!

Remember were all here to talk to and its free!

I have been pondering this subject this morning whilst gardening and I have only just realised that my husbands attitude and understanding of TN changed after my first Neuro appointment. My husband came with me and the Neuro spent more time making eye contact and explaining things to my husband then he did to me. At the time I was slightly annoyed about this, thinking hang on I am the patient here! The Neuro treated my husband with lots of respect and explained that the condition would not kill but of how very painful it was for me. I thank the Neuro now, as he did a service of a Marriage Councillor on that day.

Thank you for starting this thread, I’m so grateful for this site, I can’t tell you.

It’s comforting to know there are people who understand the ups and downs of living with TN.
I am very lucky to have a supportive husband, but truth be told, a spouse doesn’t really “get” what we’re going through.
I see the distant look in his eyes when I’m discussing my health, it can’t be easy to hear our frustrations etc. I do try to minimize my venting as much as possible.

Red, I cried reading that letter. Thankyou for sharing.
((( hugs))) to you all as we get through another day …

Hi Albee,

I am so sorry to hear about what's going on at home too. . . I think it's a good idea to seek counseling as well. I think everyone can benefit from counseling.. even when there isn't a bump in the road. :~(

Hello Elstep,

Your neuro was brilliant to engage your husband the way he did, I really loved that.

and

Hi Albee,

I think you're doing an incredible thing by asking for help and laying it out like you did. Help comes from all different directions, just like pain can. Personal achievements under TN duress are monumental. All of us know that. Instead of getting under dining room table, see if dancing on top of it can make you laugh and relieve some pressure and pain. Find lots of ways to laugh, seriously.

elstep said:

I have been pondering this subject this morning whilst gardening and I have only just realised that my husbands attitude and understanding of TN changed after my first Neuro appointment. My husband came with me and the Neuro spent more time making eye contact and explaining things to my husband then he did to me. At the time I was slightly annoyed about this, thinking hang on I am the patient here! The Neuro treated my husband with lots of respect and explained that the condition would not kill but of how very painful it was for me. I thank the Neuro now, as he did a service of a Marriage Councillor on that day.