Surgery results

Lyn, that's amazing! Sounds like a very insightful Dr. for that period! Cryosurgery is one I have never heard of. I need to study it. Another person here is having a part called a "styloid process" removed. When I studied it, I couldn't figure out the connection; but my point is that there a lot of new procedures out there that might be helpful, so I hope this gives some patients some hope. Would you consider any of these "successful" if you have to keep taking medicine and keet getting surgeries? 

Thanks Lyn for teaching us something.

Sheila

Thanks Sheila. Unbelievably, it was my dentist who was the star (for a change) he was 100% convinced that I had TN from the start & with my permission he rang my doctor & a neuro to fight for me.
However I digress…cryosurgery for me is firstly another attempt at trying to kill the nerve (but as we know these nerves are a bitch & have a habit of ‘regenerating’ themselves. Secondly it gives me a number of months pain free when I’m at the end of my tether & need a high dose med break. There is a discussion here on cryo started by another member (Steve) who has had far more success than me.
As with MVD you really have to weigh up your own pros & cons, only you can make up your own mind. Do not be bullied into anything by anyone whether professional or not. It’s shameful to have to say that other than needing to have a great surgeon you may also have to cross your fingers & that’s wrong.
Yes I would consider other surgeries if I thought they could help, researched heaps & had contact with others who’d experienced it.

I was impressed with the study Carolina posted by the New England Journal of Medicine. They followed their patients for a long time.

However, they didn't address what types of TN the patients had and the difference in success between Type 1 and Type 2. It didn't give Atypicals any information to work with since the latest info is less of a success rate than with Type 1.

hi i had motor cortex surgery five years ago. nope not a cure for my weird type two since they don't even know what to call it. but....i have a lot less pain and can manage the pain i do have better with this device. i am on a lot less meds and it gave me more function. now it is maintenance and i am glad i have this awesome tool to help me. i went from bascially crawling from bed to couch most days to more function than i thought i would ever get back. so seldom do you read any thing about this treatment. i know it doesn't work for everyone but it is nice to know all the options.

hugs to all for pain free days

julesvern