So its Back?

So I had My MVD on Nov 1, 2012. Everything seemed to go really really well. They found both a vein and an artery wrapped around the nerve and moved them to relive the pain and pressure. So Fast forward three months- Just this week I have had the pain reoccur. The pain is back behind my eye and down into my jaw and neck again. I am hoping that it just may be a short term relapse?

I had my MVD Sep 2011. I still have pain BUT it isnt as deep or severe as it was pre-op. My surgeon said the pain may cycle off and on as the nerve re-generates. This can take a year or so. (My case was rather complicated so I'm hoping its "anytime" it decides to quit cycling). I noticed that my pain can last minutes/hours or a few 2-5 days.

Are you still on gapapentin to quiet the nerve?

They say that it can take up to a year for the nerve to settle. Ask Kc Dancer Kc. She has had MVD.

Oh CRAP, I hope it is a temp thing as well. I am just now getting a referal to a neurosurgeon thru the VA

Oh CRAP, I hope it is a temp thing as well. I am just now getting a referal to a neurosurgeon thru the VA

My neurosurgeon told me it takes up to a year for the nerve to recover. Often, when one is pain free right after MVD surgery it is due to the fact the nerve is numb due to it being manipulated during surgery. It took me 8 months to get good pain relief after my MVD surgery. I would not give up hope yet!

Uh oh. I am a little nervous…I am 4 weeks post MVD. Next week I have my post op appt with the neuro and he will start to again reduce my tegretol. (They halved it while in hospital) This will be the real test for pain relief. We should keep an open mind for the 12 months of recovery, but it is so scary wondering if it will come back for good. Hang in there…

Remember the nerve did not get damaged overnight, it will not heal over night.

Mines back too !! nearly 9mths . i also had totoruos blood vessels wrapped around nerve , it had cut a grooove into tri. nerve , see neurosurgeon in2 wks !meanwhile commmenced back on meds as prior to surgery.

I am nearly 6 weeks post op and my pain is back! I had a really stressful day a few days ago and the pain came back! I’m freaking out.