Oh, how I miss gum

I smoked for a long, long time. Ten years ago, when my first grandchild was due, I decided to quit so I could hopefully see him graduate from high school and get married. I laid those bad boys down one day, and have never picked them up since. However, I substituted chewing gum for my cigarettes. When I got in the car, I stuck a piece of sugar free gum in my mouth. I had special flavors for certain times of the day, and had an assortment of choices all of the time. I think the little conveniece store loved seeing me come to replenish my gum selection. Then there was my favorite, my one time a day treat. After I ate breakfast, at our business, I would go to the box of gumballs that we stocked our vending machine with and I would pick out two big juicy gumballs and chew and chew and chew.

I had little jolts for four years, but my first horrible jolt came when chewing my precious double bubble gum ball. I of course figured out what I had, got diagnosed and went on nuerontin. I was doing well, so I thought what the heck, and I stuck a piece of my favorite grape gumball in while working in my office. That was the first time my husband got to witness a full blown attack, and the last piece of gum I will ever chew.

I miss you dear friend, another little piece of who I was, gone.

I loved gum too! It’s the little things like this that I miss too! I did start sucking on tic tacs which is not the same but it is something in my mouth. I’m so glad that I found this site to connect with people like you who understand these little things!! Thank you for posting this today. Have a great day!

You are welcome, Melissa. I am having a good day, and decided to talk about something a little lighthearted.