Mortality rates for MVD

I've been reading through Striking Back! and was a bit surprised to learn that the risk of death or serious complication for MVD is around 1%. Another source lists the mortality rate as "approaching 0.5%." A 1 in 200 chance of dying seems incredibly high to me!

Apart from the skill of the surgeon, it appears that a good outcome is more likely with young and healthy patients. I'm not sure I'd be a good candidate for surgery aged mid-60s, with PVCs and occasional near-syncope.

Hi Nomad,

I haven't read the stats myself, but I know that certain factors can increase or decrease the risk factor for individuals undertaking any form of surgery. Anyone undergoing surgery should have the discussion about what the risks are prior to making any decisions, as they relate to their personal situation. For example, if you're allergic to anaesthesia that will up your risk factor. If you're fit and generally in good health, that may reduce the risk etc,

Worth having the conversation with your health team before making any decisions..

:)