How long did Tegretol work for you?

I have only taken Tegretol - for 8 years now.... the first 6 years it only came for 6 months of the year - Winter so started in Autumn some time and then disappeared in Spring... so I was able to reduce my dose, as it got less painful.

The worse was on holidays in New Zealand in the snow... I took about 1400 mg but ended up with Lupus, so had to back off and just deal with pain, until I got home... then the TN just settled, as I was back in warm weather.... weird...

2010 it did not come at all - must have been a warm winter :0)

Then 2011 it came when I was on holidays in a hot climate, now it just comes & goes when it likes... but since taking 1000mcg of B12 a day the pain is much more bearable. I was in remission for several months before it returned, but not as bad.... currently on 600mg Tegretol and building my B12 up again to see if it will disappear again after a few months...

Also getting a blood test soon to see if my B12 has dropped.

I find hot water bottle helps - I actually now think it is in my jaw bone as I have a funny jaw - hence making an appointment to see a new neurologist/neurosurgeon, and new MRI as its 8 years since the last one and things have changed.

My sister bought me some of those little heat packs that you click a metal disk and the fluid heats up to hot crystals...

I carry them with me everywhere.... even at night it saves me boiling the jug and filling a water bottle...

hugs and painfree days/months.....

Tegretol is one of those drugs that has varying effects on everyone.
Ive been on it forever (ok almost 3years). I have had to increase the dosage until I reached my current dose (1200mg).
I think you might need an aditional painkiller to work with Carbo. The only problem is what to take. This is where Id ask someone who knows drugs.
My pharmacist is amazing. Im taking Ultram (almost useless IMO) and Butrans patch (my most prized med).
Some people say the reverse, so it is a personal thing.

Anyhow, if meds are working, keep it up.

Smash

ultram is about as useful as tits on bull. I have taken Norco and that works wonders. Sometimes when the pain is starting is to take 2.5 ml of infant Tylenol and put it inside my cheek. it helps dull the pain until a pain pill can take effect.

smashagnome said:

Tegretol is one of those drugs that has varying effects on everyone.
Ive been on it forever (ok almost 3years). I have had to increase the dosage until I reached my current dose (1200mg).
I think you might need an aditional painkiller to work with Carbo. The only problem is what to take. This is where Id ask someone who knows drugs.
My pharmacist is amazing. Im taking Ultram (almost useless IMO) and Butrans patch (my most prized med).
Some people say the reverse, so it is a personal thing.

Anyhow, if meds are working, keep it up.

Smash

My Dr said to play with the amount. I try to get by with the least amount possible (only because I'm 31 and have MANY more years to live with this). I usually take between one and three daily (Im on 200mg). If I usually start getting some burning in my ear or a really sore jaw, I take more. I give it very little wiggle room, I try to be very proactive. I have been on it for about 4 months. I will be honest, I don't think I can go back to one pill anytime soon. However, in 4 months this morning (its 3 am) is the first time have woken up in MAJOR pain, I popped 2 pills right away along with Ibuprofen. I don't feel that my pills don't work . . . I know TN can have flare ups and I just take them when they come. Maybe you just need to take more? Yet, I know you can only take so much. And as others have said here, maybe you just been to take something else with it. Good luck to you.