Can Mountains Make a difference?

OK. I know humidity and heat and barometric pressure can trigger TN attacks in many, it does in me. My question is, does altitude and/or elevation make a difference. I have only had this condition for 9 months but it is becoming almost non stop. Funny thing. I live in Humid Houston. When I spent 10 days in Yosemite National Park in May I had almost no symptoms at all. They sure came back when I returned to Houston! Then I spent 10 days with friends hiking and fishing in the mountains around Boise, Idaho at the end of July and I was pain and symptom free! I flew to Florida and Wham! The pain came back! Any thoughts? Could Mountain living be the cure? or atleast help?

I think you can get some relief. I had the experience of going into a very cold air-conditioned environment and loosing pain instantly. Here are some discussions that might be relevant. I would love to here about others' experiences!!!

http://www.livingwithtn.org/forum/topics/can-pressure-changes-in-weather-make-it-worse?xg_source=activity

Thank you but I looked through that section at didn’t see a reference to mountains or altitude. Maybe I missed it.

Hmmm.....just different for everyone I guess. I live in the Colorado mountains. Six years ago when I was diagnosed, we lived near Telluride, I worked at 10,500 ft every day. About three years ago we moved to the foothills outside of Fort Collins, so about 7,500 ft now. Altitude doesn't make a difference to my pain, but the cold and wind certainly do. Mountain living is certainly a life style that offers less stress for me, so in that way I'm sure that it helps.

I don't know but it sounds like you had an awesome summer!!! ;-) You did some things on my bucket list!!!

Hope, thanks for your input. is it humid in that part of Colorado? My husband and I are trying to figure out if it was the high altitude or perhaps the low humidity of these two trips which gave me such great relief. or both.

ha! I did have an awesome summer! i cant complain about that! i have been going to Yosemite since i was a baby and i am always trying to find a way to get to the mountains. maybe i am just wishing its my cure.
tacocat said:

I don't know but it sounds like you had an awesome summer!!! ;-) You did some things on my bucket list!!!

This is an interesting question because I think different environments affect different people in many ways.

In air-conditioned rooms, especially air-conditioning plus fans I suffer, But, I had an experience a while back when I visited Alaska. Now, knowing TN, this should have been exceptionally painful since the air is frigid, but while there, I felt refreshed. I still had to wear a scarf around my face, but I was relatively pain-free except in the wind.

As soon as I got back home, wham! the excruciating pain that is always there came back within two weeks.

I have no understanding or explanation for this, its almost like it goes into a little remission.

Now that is interesting and sounds just like what happened to me. i went hiking in Alaska a few years before TN started. I can't think of a better reason to go there again! seriously though, my friends in Boise want me to come up again soon and see if my theory works.

I was thinking of this conversation as I tried to drive to work this morning. It is not normally humid in Colorado, usually a dry high desert environment. Although the last couple of days we have been having a lot of rain. My pain has really been bad, so maybe related to the humidity. Everything flooded and couldn't get across the bridges to get into town so back home in my sweats having a nice quiet morning. Ahhhhh.........................

oh my gosh Hope! ive been watching the news! if youre anywhere near the flooding stay home and stay safe!